This includes all kinds of Internet -- Windows can't even do updates. I use a wireless D-Link card that has always worked... the connection on the bottom right says "Very Good" with 3 out of 4 green bars and when I "ping" my computer (I think that's what it is called) I get back an IP. So the wireless routers are working (I can see files on my other computers), it's just the Internet that suddenly stopped.

1. Did a system restore to 3 days before, did not work.
2. McAffee security log shows 2 activex controls installed just before problem happened, but I could not find them after I downloaded an activex log.
3. Ran adware, spyware everything and nothing was found.

THanks, all help is appreciated to get my internet back.

-Mr. Tanner

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi

Have u tried to get rid of those two activex controls and check if the#at is the cause of ur problem.

Raj

This includes all kinds of Internet -- Windows can't even do updates. I use a wireless D-Link card that has always worked... the connection on the bottom right says "Very Good" with 3 out of 4 green bars and when I "ping" my computer (I think that's what it is called) I get back an IP. So the wireless routers are working (I can see files on my other computers), it's just the Internet that suddenly stopped.

2. McAffee security log shows 2 activex controls installed just before problem happened, but I could not find them after I downloaded an activex log.

-Mr. Tanner

Either its a either a Virus that Mcaffee didnt get Defs for yet. New viruses come out each day. I personally Prefer AVG FREE. It is most definatly possible your Restore Point is infected. If not... BAD AUTHENTICATION or BAD ROUTER OR WLAN CARD. OR INTERNET IS CUTOFF. i had similar problem nd it was Authentication Failure

This includes all kinds of Internet -- Windows can't even do updates. I use a wireless D-Link card that has always worked... the connection on the bottom right says "Very Good" with 3 out of 4 green bars
are u connection to the correct network?
and when I "ping" my computer (I think that's what it is called) I get back an IP.
what is the IP address? So the wireless routers are working (I can see files on my other computers), it's just the Internet that suddenly stopped.

-Mr. Tanner

what is the ip address u got?
how did you ping your computer?
are you connecting to the correct network?

I had the same problems.
If you didn't have connection problem with other operation system, that mean's you are in trouble with windows vista.

But you can solve the problem as I did.

Setup Service Pack 1 of Vista and update your router's firmware.

Best Regards

if none of those work, just reset your router and make sure all of the cables are in firmly, and check the settings on the router

I've had an issue where the internet stopped working after 10 minutes and I had to reboot the computer to start it again. This is in vista.

I also found a solution. Go to:

Control panel --> hardware and sound --> device manager --> network adapters.

Now, disable all of the adapters there (right click, disable). Then re-enable them one by one, and test your internet connection each time (may have to restart). The purpose is to find the adapter that is supporting your connection. Once you know which one it is, right-click it, and select properties. Go to the advanced tab.

Now you should see a list of options, and each time you click one the drop-down menu changes, listing alternatives for each one. Change almost all the options to different alternatives. The purpose of this is to change the configuration of your adapter to something that will support your connection better. Honestly, I did this, and it improved my connection. Since I don't know which one it was that made the difference, it is necessary to change all of them. Here are the list of alternatives I had for each option in the improved state:

- 20 MHz Only
- 20 MHz Only
- Disabled
- probably should skip this one
- 0.802.11b/g
- Disabled
- WMM enabled
- Enabled
- RTS/CTS enabled
- 5. Highest
- Enabled
- 5. Highest
- 2.802.11b

Press OK, and check again to make sure the changes have been applied.

Now, this improved my connection but didn't fix it. The true fix came after I did the following.

Go to this page: http://www.reviewingit.com/index.php/content/view/61/1/

Download the tool, and follow the instructions. Make sure you apply the fix for ALL your adapters. I first fixed one, then restarted, and a different list of adapters popped up for some reason afterwards, so I just decided I'd fix them all and restarted again. So I did it twice (just for the record). After I did that, I solved the issue with my internet. It doesn't crash anymore. Hopefully your's doesn't either!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.