I have lost my favorites menu in ie8 and can't seem to find it. When I try to add aomething to my favorites that was there, it tell me the file is already there, and will ask if I want to over write it.
My OS is windows7pro.
I have restored twice and the same thing, no list in the favorites menu, and I can't find anything yet on the web as to how to get it back with windows 7.
Thank you all for any help you can give.
dewabo

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Post an image of what you see in the web browser. I am not sure what you are talking about. You say there is no favourite bar

One suggestion I have is to reset it to the default settings. You can find this under Tools>Internet Options>Advanced TAB>Reset Button. See attached jpeg file.

What oalee said is correct but that would be the last resort unless you want to solve it urgently. Nice thining oalee

What oalee said is correct but that would be the last resort unless you want to solve it urgently. Nice thining oalee

I'm actually cheating, lol... I currently work as a technical support supervisor for MS.. LOL

Under the favorites bar, it is blank, nothing but this "favorites bar" which I didn't put there.Click on it and it gives you a blank page, and says file is empty.
I just did what Oalee said and nothing changed.

hmmm, okay.. we definitely need to see what you see. if you can post a screenshot of it.

How do you take a screen shot?

How do you take a screen shot?

you could try using the win7 snipiit tool as shown in link .
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

never mind above ,as the open favorites will disappear when you click to snippit .

top row of keys ,on the far right you should have a key that says print screen or prt sc .

open favorites and hit that key ,it will save the image ,you can then copy /past it into a photo edit program like microsoft paint,it will likely be to big to post it here ,and need to either resize it or uploade it to a file storage site [just google one ]

or if you have a digital camera you could take a picture of and post that

also open windows explorer and check to see if the favorites are where they should be .C:\Users\yourname\Favorites

double click on favorites folder and open it and see if the links to sites are inside

I did what y'all asked me to, and under c:\users\myname\favorites the only thinf there is that favorites bar.

that's not the best picture but you can see what I see under favorites.

right click on the top of the browser and check to add menu bar, click on the favorites it adds .your favorites should be in that folder ,go to start search and search for favorites and see if any show up in another location,if so check to see if you Favs are in the other location ,if you find them copy and past to the location in the c:/user/yourname/ folder

I did what y'all asked me to, and under c:\users\myname\favorites the only thinf there is that favorites bar.

the favorites bar folder in the picture ,does it open if you double click on it

It opens on a single left click. Folks I have been all over this computer and can't find then, but if I try to add something to favorites that should be there, it ask if I want to over write it, It is as if they are there and not there at the same time.This could drive a person to drink.

You mean they are there but invisible or hidden. Because you say when you add a existing link they prompt you whether you want to overwrite it. You also say it is not on your computer. Do you have any paritions on your laptop. Maybe you favourties is in the paritions

OK folks here's what I've found out, Microsoft added the favoriters bar to replace the links menu,and when they did it hid everything you have under favorites. It didn't delete your favorites it just hid them without telling you where or how to recover them. So once again Microsoft has screwed us.Without giving us the option of downloading new favorites bar, they did it as an update to IE8.
Lucky for me I had a lot of my favorites saved to a flash drive and had to copt\paste them to the new favorites bar, but I still have lost some that will take time to find again.
I guess we can mark this as solved, thanks to those who responded, your help and ask.com solved this one. Thanks guys and gails.

Good for you, let's just screw IE8 and use firefox. Actually everyone posted here is a male

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.