I'm helping a friend reconnect her laptop to her wireless network. Ironically, I brought my laptop to her house, and without any effort, I was able to connect to her network. However, when I attempt to do the same thing on her laptop, the repair wizard gets stuck at 'Renewing your IP address' and a 'Windows - System Error' bubble appears in the bottom right of the screen, indicating that 'There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network'. I haven't encountered anything like this before. I've tried disabling the wireless network adapter, then enabling it again, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

That's because you both have the Same IP address.

You need to go into your network Properties and then TCP/IP make sure that you have them both set to Obtain an IP address Automatically.

If one PC is set to 192.168.1.2, Windows will assign the other PC 192.168.1.3.

Hope this helps.

this is normal for a simple SOHO wifi router. try to set the laptop with a static IP from the range given by the router, but from somewhere at the end of that range

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.