I have an assignment to create a proposal to design a net infrastructure, provide cost estimate for the set-up, implement the approved infrastructure and provide on-going support. Can someone help me on how to get started. Just need couple hints how to get started with the layout. Had a course in basic networking and telecommunication...Thanks for the help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Are you asking what software to use for a network diagram, or how to actually layout the network?

How to actually layout the network and what equipment to use. I have figured out that it will be a WAN network considering there are offices in NC, NJ and head office in DE.

Thanks Eric for the response.

I have an assignment to create a proposal to design a net infrastructure, provide cost estimate for the set-up, implement the approved infrastructure and provide on-going support. Can someone help me on how to get started. Just need couple hints how to get started with the layout. Had a course in basic networking and telecommunication...Thanks for the help

first you want to choose the topology, star, bus, mesh, ring, token. You have already choosen a WAN. now you need to decide what it will be used for to determine what type of support you will need, 24 hours support, contracted support (remote admin), internal support (help desk) this can be very expensive so be careful on how you choose, you dont want to create an unrealistic cost, as IT can be very costly.

Please tell me if this is correct. My initial layout of the wan network included a router, firewall, switch to main building which will host the file, email, print, VPN, and communication servers running on a star topology with 25 users. the remote site located in NJ, and NC will each run a LAN network with a wire room connected to a patch panel and Access point. There will also be a switch for each five PC. the entire LAN network will be on a star or extending star topology depending on the size of the building. Thought about using a multi mode fiber optic and wireless connection as a second option for linking the remote location but realized it would be very expensive and there are some disadvantage to the fiber optic connections. Thanks for the help!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.