I have an issue with a linksys WRK54G cable wireless router that doesn't seem able to dish out IP addresses to 2 laptops connected to it. Sometimes 1 will connect for a short while and then stop working after 10 minutes or so.

It does however work fine with a desktop it's hardwired to. The wireless connection is fine and is not an issue and the same problem occurs when hardwiring either laptop to the router.

The ISP is virgin media cable UK.

Each laptop works fine when connected to another router, the linksys has been checked and DHCP is enabled, and it has been power cycled.

Is this simply a dying router or could it be down to the ISP?

Thanks for any input.

Ben

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am not a networking wiz, but try manually assigning the ip's to each laptop/desktop within the range of those assigned by the dhcp.

I am not a networking wiz, but try manually assigning the ip's to each laptop/desktop within the range of those assigned by the dhcp.

Thanks, I may try that, but why would I need to do this, i.e. why isn't DHCP doing it as that's it's job?!

I am not sure but the only reason I can think of is that the ethernet cards have been manually assigned a ip outside the range of the dhcp. If that is true then you may try setting them to autodetect and check if the dhcp works.

did u check your power source connected to your router it may cause this problem ou have to check your power and check your configuration for DHCP if it's all right configs you may check the power

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.