Hello, Im using a Linksys NR041 router to share a cable internet connection. I have 2 computers on the router. Both computers run windows XP professional. one has service pack 1 the other has service pack 2.

The problem I am having is, I can set up and host a game(pretty much any multi player game i have) and my other computer on the router can connect to it, as well as players from the net, but when me and the other comp on the router try and connect to the same internet game it will only let one of us connect. As far as i can tell it is because the cable modem only has one IP address, and the router assigns the ip addy's to the individual comps. But when connecting to net games it uses the modems IP addy for both comps instead of the router assigned ips. Is their anyway arround this?

Thank you,
Kelly

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I think the issue is really that the Internet game server needs the public IP address to distinguish the players. I think you would need to get another IP from your ISP and set one of your pc's to be a DMZ host with that IP address or use 2 routers one for each IP.

Hello, Im using a Linksys NR041 router to share a cable internet connection. I have 2 computers on the router. Both computers run windows XP professional. one has service pack 1 the other has service pack 2.

The problem I am having is, I can set up and host a game(pretty much any multi player game i have) and my other computer on the router can connect to it, as well as players from the net, but when me and the other comp on the router try and connect to the same internet game it will only let one of us connect. As far as i can tell it is because the cable modem only has one IP address, and the router assigns the ip addy's to the individual comps. But when connecting to net games it uses the modems IP addy for both comps instead of the router assigned ips. Is their anyway arround this?

Thank you,
Kelly

Do you need to have XP in order to use this particular router. I have a Windows ME machine and I'm trying to get the NR041 to work between it and a Cable Modem.

try setting your router in a new wan setting

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.