Is it possible to hook a wireless router and a wired router to a cable modem? I have followed all steps and it takes me to a point to reboot, it then reboots but program does not continue after restart. It is an ATIVA router and I am not familiar with this brand. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Could you hook the modem to the wired router and then run a CAT-5 cable or something to the wireless router?

also This site looks like it has some ideas to.

Yes, it's possible. What are you trying to accomplish?
Describe the equipment.
In general, you want to attach one router to the modem, then the second router to the first.
The second router will need a fixed IP address and have DHCP disabled.

Yes, it's possible. What are you trying to accomplish?
Describe the equipment.
In general, you want to attach one router to the modem, then the second router to the first.
The second router will need a fixed IP address and have DHCP disabled.

TimeWarner cable Modem, Linksys router and wireless Ativa router. Just bought the wireless to for laptop. Inserted disc and followed steps to physically connect each cable. It comes to a point to read the router. It stays at 0% for about 10 seconds and switches to another screen that says "it must now reboot - upon restart installation will continue." It doesn't. Computer restarts-program does not. For some reason it is not reading either router. I had no problems setting up the linksys router but this one is kicking my ***.
Thanks again...

It sounds like it might be an issue with the router or the system you're using to confiugre it. If you have a different computer you can use to configure the wireless router that might work, or at least tell you if it's the router or computer.

When configuring the router it should be connected directly to the computer you're using to configure the router. If you run the isntallation disk from a computer plugged into the other router it probably wont be able to resolve teh settings.

Like others are saying, you can only hook one router to a modem (unless it has an integrated router, but I doubt you'd need both of these components if it did) then hook the second router into that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.