Hi All
looking for a few words of wisdom. just replanning my networkand thinking of what kit to get. i'm looking to get

1x mass store/fileserver (posabily for streamimng media)
1x webserver
1x terminal server

just wondered if any of you have any advice on the spec's for these types of machines, espesh the terminal server i've never had one before. the terminals will just be for web access mainly.

nothing to specific needed just sort of "for webserver low space and high ram" kind of stuff will do.

cheers

spikes

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi All
looking for a few words of wisdom. just replanning my networkand thinking of what kit to get. i'm looking to get

1x mass store/fileserver (posabily for streamimng media)
1x webserver
1x terminal server

just wondered if any of you have any advice on the spec's for these types of machines, espesh the terminal server i've never had one before. the terminals will just be for web access mainly.

nothing to specific needed just sort of "for webserver low space and high ram" kind of stuff will do.

cheers

spikes

Uh, as much as possible for all three...for a business environment of course. If you're fiddling around at home, anything will do.

Gigabit or dual Gigabit for the file server. Get a trunking switch and Intel cards to have 2Gbps of usable bandwidth, or 4Gbps depending on how you look at it. 64-bit cards to use the PCI bus appropriately. RAID-5, or a 0+1 setup. RAID 5 for security and "fair" speed, 0 +1 for a bump in speed and of course cost. Either way you're looking at a fair amount of cheese.

For the webserver...that depends on if you're just serving up static pages or having dynamically created content spewed forth from it. At any rate, fast processor, a goodly bit of RAM, and an array of mirrored 15K SCSI drives are a good start.

For a terminal server, you're going to definitely want multiple processors, a copious amount of RAM... 2, possibly 4 gigs, and of course the OS. I'm thinking something with no less than two Xeon processors at 2.8GHz, 2 gigs of RAM, either RAID 1 or 5 (depending on the critical-ness of the T.S. server) with 15K SCSI disks.

Of course, these recommendations are negotiable, but if I were building new servers, I'd loosely follow what I posted. It's up to you though. :)

Feel free to comment.

Hey,
Cheers for the advice. the servers are all for the new home network i'm building. webserver for intranet and a few exturnal sites, mainly php code. file server for film and music and all the other random file i seam to generate. and of cource the terminal server for the low spec, laptop in each room. all sounds like good advice.

cheers

spikes

Hey,
Cheers for the advice. the servers are all for the new home network i'm building. webserver for intranet and a few exturnal sites, mainly php code. file server for film and music and all the other random file i seam to generate. and of cource the terminal server for the low spec, laptop in each room. all sounds like good advice.

cheers

spikes

Unless you're doing some really intensive stuff, a single 2.0GHz or higher processor system with 1GB of ram should suffice to do all three of those jobs simultaneously.

Beef it up with a few hard drives and you should be golden.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.