I have just recently got SBC Yahoo! DSL.. i bought a netgear router so i can use it on my two computers. one is a laptop already with a wireless card in it. and the second computer is a desktop pc. on the desktop pc, it shows that i am connected, i check my connection status and all it shows is a number for "sending" and a zero for "receiving" i try to use internet explorer, but it will not let me and i am connected. I have been struggling to get this wireless internet to work for the past 3 days, and received minimum success. Everything else seems to be intact, i just am unable to connect wirelessly. same for the laptop. it says i am connected but does not let me use internet explorer or any form of connnection to the WWW. if anyone knows anything i should check or any form of help.. it would greatly be appreciated.. thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What is the exact model of Netgear router? Please post that information.

If the router is a combination wireless/wired router, connect a computer to one of the router's wired Ethernet ports and see if you can access the Internet that way. That will give us a better idea of exactly where the problem lies.

Also-

1. Do the status lights on both the DSL modem and the router indicate that they are communicating with each other?

2. Are the computers receiving correct IP information from the router? Netgear routers usually assigns IP addresses from the 192.168.0 range to the computers they are connected to,and usually assign themselves the IP address of 192.168.0.1. On each computer, do the following:

- Click on the "Run..." option under your Start button menu.

- In the resulting dialog box, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) in the "Open:" box and then hit enter. This will open a DOS window.

- At the DOS prompt, type the following command and tell us what it reports:

ipconfig /all

You should get something very similar to:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TEST
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mynetwork.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast
Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-2A-DB-26
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.166.226.38
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 8, 2004
8:35:42 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 8, 2004
9:35:42 PM

Note the Default Gateway IP address. Type the following command and tell us the results (if ipconfig reports your default gateway IP to be something other than 192.168.0.1, use that IP in the command):

ping 192.168.0.1

3. DSL connections usually use a protocol known as PPPoE (or perhaps PPPoA), and your router must be configured to use that protocol as well if it is to communicate properly with the DSL modem. By default, Netgear routers use the DHCP protocol instead of PPPoE, and if the router did not automatically detect the right protocol for your DSL service you won't be able to get a connection to the Net.
You may need to check/configure this setting in the router's configuration utility; if you tell us the exact model of the router we can tell you how to do this.

Heyy thanks.. i just found out what i was doing wrong. I typed in the wrong network key and that didnt allow me to browse the internet. Thanks for your help tho, really appreciate it.

Hi all,

I am a new user of this forum, was doing a google search and got u guys :cheesy: my problem is also sam i am usin a netgear wireless router model number is MR814v2 , wirelles thing doesnt seem to work, i am not reciving packet that is the prob, if you guys can help me , i will be very g8ful

Hi riddle,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

Hi,

I am really sorry , i wasnt sure of the rule,thank you for letting me know, I will keep that in mind.

Thanks

No problem riddle; many new members aren't aware of our guidelines. Again- thanks for understanding.

Just start you're own thread as I suggested and we'll be there to help.

:)

I have this exact problem

The model is th WGR614 v 6

Do the status lights on both the DSL modem and the router indicate that they are communicating with each other?
Yes

AND it Pings to the device...

What is the exact model of Netgear router? Please post that information.

If the router is a combination wireless/wired router, connect a computer to one of the router's wired Ethernet ports and see if you can access the Internet that way. That will give us a better idea of exactly where the problem lies.

Also-

1. Do the status lights on both the DSL modem and the router indicate that they are communicating with each other?

2. Are the computers receiving correct IP information from the router? Netgear routers usually assigns IP addresses from the 192.168.0 range to the computers they are connected to,and usually assign themselves the IP address of 192.168.0.1. On each computer, do the following:

- Click on the "Run..." option under your Start button menu.

- In the resulting dialog box, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) in the "Open:" box and then hit enter. This will open a DOS window.

- At the DOS prompt, type the following command and tell us what it reports:

ipconfig /all

You should get something very similar to:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TEST
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mynetwork.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast
Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-2A-DB-26
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.166.226.38
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 8, 2004
8:35:42 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 8, 2004
9:35:42 PM

Note the Default Gateway IP address. Type the following command and tell us the results (if ipconfig reports your default gateway IP to be something other than 192.168.0.1, use that IP in the command):

ping 192.168.0.1

3. DSL connections usually use a protocol known as PPPoE (or perhaps PPPoA), and your router must be configured to use that protocol as well if it is to communicate properly with the DSL modem. By default, Netgear routers use the DHCP protocol instead of PPPoE, and if the router did not automatically detect the right protocol for your DSL service you won't be able to get a connection to the Net.
You may need to check/configure this setting in the router's configuration utility; if you tell us the exact model of the router we can tell you how to do this.

eeep just saw the do not do this rule...

I have the same problem the router is not detecting pppoe
and my pc and laptops are not able to detect internet
mine is netgear MR814v2
how should i set my router utility to detect pppoe plzz help me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.