Hi,
I have managed to set up my domain using windows server 2003 with the domain controller installed, and then i have sucessfully managed to connnect all the other computers to that.

My question is thought, how do i get is so that all of the users save to the server not to the actual computers hard drive??

I know i have to do this via shares but i could do with some help and guidance on how to do this.

Thanks in advance

Joseph Bromwich

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I am sorry I couldnot understand your question . Are you talking about user profile?

exactly what i thought after i had posted "that no-one would understand me"

Yes i am talking about user profile

Joseph Bromwich

This is what i want to do:-

Configure it so that all the users profiles are stored say at \\server_name\users
Then when a user logs on they log on so that their My documents is \\server_name\users\username\My Documents

I hope this is a bit clearer but if you want to clafiry anything just ask.

Thanks again in advance

Joseph Bromwich

Ok - i have sorted that out - but i have two questions -

My client logons take between 10-15 minutes as they get stuck on this applying personal settings box - any ideas on how to fix this??

and the other thing is when i create Group Policy to remove say the control panel from the start menu it affects the server admin as well, any ideas on how to sort that out as well??

Again thank you in advance and i look forward to any replys.

Joseph Bromwich

Ok - i have sorted that out - but i have two questions -

My client logons take between 10-15 minutes as they get stuck on this applying personal settings box - any ideas on how to fix this??

Are you using roaming or local profiles?

and the other thing is when i create Group Policy to remove say the control panel from the start menu it affects the server admin as well, any ideas on how to sort that out as well??

Again thank you in advance and i look forward to any replys.

Joseph Bromwich

The best way to accomplish this is by placing the accounts in an organizational unit, and then applying a group policy at that organizational unit level.

Im using roaming profiles and thanks for the other reply, that worked so thanks very much.

This is surprising using roaming profiles however in my experience it's either a DNS issue or redirected folders that contain large files that are being copied across a slow network connection.
More likely a possible DNS prob however.

Im not to sure here, but sometimes this condition is caused by using your ISP's DNS
addresses in your DCs' and clients' IP properties.
You should only use your internal DNS.

If you like you could post me "ipconfig /all" outputs for an affected workstation and all your domain controllers.

Maybe this article can help also:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835302

Hi thanks for your reply once again, i have noticed in other forums across the internet that dns settings seems to be the issue however i have been unsure on how to change the dns settings on the client.

I no that the dns settings on the workstations do not match the dns of the server but if you could tell me how to change the workstation dns then that help would be greatly apreciated.

Once again thanks,

Joseph Bromwich

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.