I have a home network consisting of 1 wired PC running XP and 3 wireless laptops each running a different OS (1 Mac running OS X, 2 PCs - 1 XP and 1 Vista) connected through a Linksys WRT54G2 router and high speed cable through Comcast. When only the wired PC, the Mac and the laptop running XP are on the network everything is fine and I have not had the connection drop anytime during the month that I've had the router. However, I get intermittent connection drops (ranging anywhere from every 5 minutes to several days) when the laptop running Vista is also on the network (its a Lenovo). It not only knocks out the wireless connection throughout my home network, but also the wired connection so that the only way I can get my internet connection back is to power cycling the router. The thing is that to my knowledge that laptop does not have connection issues on the local university network. I have tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on several times in case it was interference from the neighbors' networks, I've reset the router to factory defaults and set up the home network from scratch again, I've upgraded the firmware for the router, I've cloned the MAC address, and calling Linksys was an absolute waste of time. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

can you set the vista laptop to a static IP outside your dhcp assigned range and try it?

will that work?

commented: it will work +7

Hi
you go to internet explorer and go tools go iternet option and go connections go lan setting in that box you can find proxy sever disabal it

I have a home network consisting of 1 wired PC running XP and 3 wireless laptops each running a different OS (1 Mac running OS X, 2 PCs - 1 XP and 1 Vista) connected through a Linksys WRT54G2 router and high speed cable through Comcast. When only the wired PC, the Mac and the laptop running XP are on the network everything is fine and I have not had the connection drop anytime during the month that I've had the router. However, I get intermittent connection drops (ranging anywhere from every 5 minutes to several days) when the laptop running Vista is also on the network (its a Lenovo). It not only knocks out the wireless connection throughout my home network, but also the wired connection so that the only way I can get my internet connection back is to power cycling the router. The thing is that to my knowledge that laptop does not have connection issues on the local university network. I have tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on several times in case it was interference from the neighbors' networks, I've reset the router to factory defaults and set up the home network from scratch again, I've upgraded the firmware for the router, I've cloned the MAC address, and calling Linksys was an absolute waste of time. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?

I have a very similar problem. I have one laptop that consistently knocks out the connection on all of my other computers and a range expander when I turn it on or sign back in to Windows. The problem typically resolves itself after about 5-10 minutes. I’ve tried fixing it by performing the steps you mentioned and I even purchased a new Linksys Wireless N router and still have the problem. My laptop is an HP 6910p. I’ve tried running it under Windows XP and Windows Vista. I have the same problem with both operating systems. If you have any luck figuring this out please let me know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.