Hope I posted this in the right place. I have a Lexmark Optra S 2450 laser printer that I need to interface with my new computer that I built via a network. The printer is old but works great. It has two ways of being able to communicate. One through a parallel port and the other is the network card in the printer. No USB. My new motherboard in my new computer does not have a parallel port so I am forced to use the network card on the printer. My problem is I don't know how to set it up. I made several attempts but failed. Here are more details. First I am running Vista 32 bit and I'm connected to a router. On the printer when I print out the network configuration page (through the printer console) it shows all the different settings that can be configured and what they are at that point. I have included a copy. Under TCP/IP is where I think I'm messing up. For "address" I am assuming that would be the address of the printer which I assigned 192.168.2.4. The "Netmask" is 255.255.255.0. The "gateway" I assume is the router IP gateway address which is 192.168.2.1. What I don't understand is what the "Hostname, WINS Status" is and how to configure it. And the IP address for " WINS Server". Would that be my computer? This printer came from a business that used to use it in a network so I know it works. If you need more info please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It seems my attachment didn't go through so I'm trying again.

the hostname is whatever you want to call the printer. A WINS server is a nameserver. You wont have one on a home network so either leave it blank or try the same as the gateway.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.