I have 1mbit cable connection which can reach 150k without problems when ever i download from the internet through explorere or DAP which is great, BUT when i use programs like Kazaa, Bit Torrent, Overnet it can only download at 20-30k no matter what, i noe its not my line as a friend brought his laptop round and it worked perfectly getting 150k off Overnet straight away!

I have a realtek network card cant remeber which one off hand and the modem is in through that, im running a 1900xp AMD, ecs motherboard, 384 mb DDR PC 2100, G4 MX 440, 1 40gb HDD, 1 10gb HDD with about 10gb free between them And WinXP without SP1 or SP1a

i have checked for syware, viruses, and a firewall which makes no difference if i disable it, i have tryed using a couple of different internet speed tweaking programs which make no diffeerence, i have installed newer drivers for my network card and nothing, ive pretty much tryed everything i can think would cause this.

any advice on how to sort it out would greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Why don't you install SP1? If anything it'll fix a lot of bug and security patches.

I don't install sp1 either ,I have a couple of times but it just caused so many problems , after i format i just install all the critial updates and patches !!

I've used that one before ,when i run it before i download and run the optimizer it shows around 1.7mb ,after 3.3 mbps

Thays what i thought,and is why the optimizer is one of the first things i run after a fresh install of XP!

I have 1mbit cable connection which can reach 150k without problems when ever i download from the internet through explorere or DAP which is great, BUT when i use programs like Kazaa, Bit Torrent, Overnet it can only download at 20-30k no matter what, i noe its not my line as a friend brought his laptop round and it worked perfectly getting 150k off Overnet straight away!

I have a realtek network card cant remeber which one off hand and the modem is in through that, im running a 1900xp AMD, ecs motherboard, 384 mb DDR PC 2100, G4 MX 440, 1 40gb HDD, 1 10gb HDD with about 10gb free between them And WinXP without SP1 or SP1a

i have checked for syware, viruses, and a firewall which makes no difference if i disable it, i have tryed using a couple of different internet speed tweaking programs which make no diffeerence, i have installed newer drivers for my network card and nothing, ive pretty much tryed everything i can think would cause this.

any advice on how to sort it out would greatly appreciated.

When you download ANYTHING from any server, be it a P2P service, or a legal file from a corporate server, the rate that you download is dependent on the connection speed of the other side as well.

It's nothing on your end. It's the fact that your friend connected to a server that had bandwidth in the first place, not 256k or 384k upload capped.

I've used that one before ,when i run it before i download and run the optimizer it shows around 1.7mb ,after 3.3 mbps

I'm having a really difficult time believing a 200% increase in speed because of some registry tweaks.

Mine runs at 3Mbs right after a clean installation. If you get 1.7Mbs after a fresh install, that's not XP, that's your bandwidth getting choked.

I'm having a really difficult time believing a 200% increase in speed because of some registry tweaks.

Mine runs at 3Mbs right after a clean installation. If you get 1.7Mbs after a fresh install, that's not XP, that's your bandwidth getting choked.

As I said before, "Maximum transfer units (MTU) settings can have a strong (and variable) effect on transfer speeds." Yes, that much. With a wrong MTU setting (which can vary per provider), the system can be forced to send each packet twice, hence the up-to-50% bandwidth chop. I've seen it. Each install is different -- but quality-of-service conditions do vary quite a bit, as well.

As I said before, "Maximum transfer units (MTU) settings can have a strong (and variable) effect on transfer speeds." Yes, that much. With a wrong MTU setting (which can vary per provider), the system can be forced to send each packet twice, hence the up-to-50% bandwidth chop. I've seen it. Each install is different -- but quality-of-service conditions do vary quite a bit, as well.

I wasn't doubting the validity of you statement, just stating that I don't have that problem.

I understand that the MTU can have a drastic effect on speed, for no reason should it effect a fresh installation of Windows.

And for the service quality, if you're getting 3.3Mbps after the tweak, then there's something affecting the installation. Crappy software from the provider, which is ridiculous. Nothing should touch those settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.