Hi, I don't know what settings to choose on this router I'm using. It's a WRT54G Linksys router. It is for use at my church's youth ministry office. I don't know what kind of internet connection to choose or any custom settings I may need. Could someone please help me out step by step with the settings I would need to change from the default.
I copied the ipconfig /all without the router attached to show you what a working connection looks like.
Oh, and I want to hook a desktop to the connection and wireless access in this room. I unfortunately don't know what type of modem or router I'm getting the internet connection from. I hope you can help.
<code>
----------------------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\catherineA>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hscc-clt144
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : HSCCFV.GRP
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : HSCCFV.GRP

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E G
igabit Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-9B-00-DD-E4
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 06, 2009 4:19:32 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:19:32
PM---------------------------------------------------------------
</code>

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you have your own domain
I'm assuming its for Holy Spirit Catholic Church Fountain Valley??
Your domain probably assigns IP addresses. I highly recommend you get someone with IT networking experience to help you
I wouldn't want someone not knowing what they are doing playing on my domain
If you insist you need to do it post back and we can start trhye procedure with no guarantees
Does the desktop have a wireless network card installed ?lLok at the back and tell me if you see an antenna or is there some cable plugged into a USB port and at the other end have something a little bigger then a Memory stick on the end of it?

You nailed it. That is my church. I don't know exactly what my church does with assigning IP addresses. A couple of hours ago I thought it listed the ip address as 23 instead of the 12 it is now. Dynamic? Anyway, it takes FOREVER to get the IT guy over here, and costs a bundle, so I'd prefer not to have to do it that way. Could you help me change the settings? And I would just be changing the router configuration on the one I brought from home and put it in my office, so I couldn't screw anything up right by changing the linksys config?
Oh, and the desktop has an ethernet port I would just plug the cable into that. I want the wireless for my laptop or any of the other youths laptops who come in.
Here is what the setup screen looks like (pulled it off google).
http://surispace.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/1-thumb.jpg

you have your own domain
I'm assuming its for Holy Spirit Catholic Church Fountain Valley??
Your domain probably assigns IP addresses. I highly recommend you get someone with IT networking experience to help you
I wouldn't want someone not knowing what they are doing playing on my domain
If you insist you need to do it post back and we can start trhye procedure with no guarantees
Does the desktop have a wireless network card installed ?lLok at the back and tell me if you see an antenna or is there some cable plugged into a USB port and at the other end have something a little bigger then a Memory stick on the end of it?

DNS Domain Name Server
We can help I will need more info
I will try and get back tomorrow and see what we can do
Your IT guy should be able to do this in about an hour
Working with the youth isn't there someone in your young group thats IT savy. also please answer my wireless question
I will get a manual on line for the router and get back to you

I'm the most IT savvy of them... lol. I like to do web design, but I'm afraid when it comes to networking I don't know that much.
re: wireless: there is nothing sticking out of the back of the desktop. Far as I can tell it's just a standard pci-e ethernet port and dialup port.
Thank you so much for your help Docktor!, and if anyone else wants to jump in feel free!

DNS Domain Name Server
We can help I will need more info
I will try and get back tomorrow and see what we can do
Your IT guy should be able to do this in about an hour
Working with the youth isn't there someone in your young group thats IT savy. also please answer my wireless question
I will get a manual on line for the router and get back to you

Internet Setup:
Internet Connection Type: DHCP

Network Setup:
Router IP: 10.10.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP: Enable

I assume your current pc in its current set-up plugs into a wall socket? Plug the WLAN port of the router into that wall socket. Now, plug your pc into one of the 4 ports on the back of the router. The WLAN port is usually separated from the 4 switch/router ports.

Your church is using a network address of 192.168.1.x. We must choose a different network address for your router (10.10.1.x), because, well, that is what routers do - route between different networks. We could have chosen 192.168.2.x or 192.168.100.x, but I think a network that begins completely different will help you track down problems if they arise.

That should help get you started.

Ugh, speaking of internet problems, I have someone that has a Modem in one room, and then another little box modem (Not Router) and I was trying to hook it up

Diagram: (modem) |=|------------- (modem) |=|----- (router)Y|=|Y

I don't understand this

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.