Plz help me...

I am looking for a cable\dsl router that will support the following,

Nortel Contivity VPN client on a win2k desktop\laptop thru cable\dsl router to Nortel Contivity VPN Server and will support approx. 15 simultaneous connections. I do not require the router to setup own vpn connections as the Contivity client on desktop\laptop will take care of negotiations to server. All the router will really being used for is sharing the internet connection at this time.The internet connection remains constant. I have tested 2 products so far, the fvs318 drops connections randomly without rhyme or reason and netgear have been unable to resolve issue as of yet. I have also tested a linksys befsr41 and all works well except the estimated limitations of simutaneous ipsec sessions (5) at the same time.

Can any1 plz give a recommendation, the most recent I am looking at is the Netopia R910 :confused: :confused: :?:

thx in advance 4 any assitance...

Tekmaven commented: That was a nice way of asking a question. +36

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If the router's not handling the VPN session, then any would work fine as long as you opened the correct ports.

I would recommend a Cisco PIX 501.

commented: Good Answer +36

I would check out www.firewalls.com and/or www.sonicwall.com

Check out the sonicwall they seriously have the best equipnment yeah I love cisco crap but sonic wall is also on a different level.

Check them out what your looking for is not hard to find just match your words with what is on the web site simple easy.

Thanks for the help Feigned and Mad_Dog. I realy appreciate your feedback. I have gone with a basic Linksys etherfast router for the moment. All i really wanted was a router that would allow IPSec passthrough. The FVS318 was not handling the VPN sessions properly (have yet to determine the reason why, and still working on that) :rolleyes: . The Linksys I am now using has workined fine w\o any drops and has been able to handle 4 sessions at one time (1 for every port).

If you doing vpn connections linksys is the way for easy no setup connections.

I've got good things to say about Draytek routers - they support VPN pass-thru (as well as handling their VPN connectivity with IPSec, L2TP, L2TP over IPSec and PPTP) and are quite solid boxes. See http://www.draytek.com.tw (or http://www.draytek.us for the USA). We've got 12 Vigor 2600We's (the ADSL variety - but there are cable/ethernet routers available) of these at work for staff members to hook up to the company network VPN and not had any difficulties with them yet.

Regards,

Martyn

I dont like getting detailed in text because it is too much to write I rather talk on the phone if anything but yes what ever body else said ha and your welcome for the little bit of information I put in.

hi all, i have another question is this IP SEC Pass thru means, Let say i;m in the hotel room and they have high speed internet on it then when i want to connect to my vpn it will be able to connect it, is it like that?,

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT NO ONE CAN HELP ME, I HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP ME. NOW LET SAY I'M IN THE HOTEL LIKE I MENTION IT, THEN THEY HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET, AND I TRY MY VPN BUT DOES NOT WORK, I HAVE FVS318 NETGEAR, WITH SOFTREMOTE VPN CLIENT SOFTWARE, BUT WHENEVER I TRY TO CONNECT IT WONT LET ME CONNECT, I WONDERING IS THIS ALL ABOUT IP SEC PASS THRU, OR ??? AND PLEASE IF SOMEONE NOW THIS WHAT SHOULD I DO, OR MY FVS318 DOES NOT WORK FOR THIS SITUATION OR THE SOFTWARE OR ???

tHANKS

It all depeneds on the infrastructure of the hotel, and what clients are supported by it, each client uses a different protocol.

hi all, i have another question is this IP SEC Pass thru means, Let say i;m in the hotel room and they have high speed internet on it then when i want to connect to my vpn it will be able to connect it, is it like that?,

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT NO ONE CAN HELP ME, I HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP ME. NOW LET SAY I'M IN THE HOTEL LIKE I MENTION IT, THEN THEY HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET, AND I TRY MY VPN BUT DOES NOT WORK, I HAVE FVS318 NETGEAR, WITH SOFTREMOTE VPN CLIENT SOFTWARE, BUT WHENEVER I TRY TO CONNECT IT WONT LET ME CONNECT, I WONDERING IS THIS ALL ABOUT IP SEC PASS THRU, OR ??? AND PLEASE IF SOMEONE NOW THIS WHAT SHOULD I DO, OR MY FVS318 DOES NOT WORK FOR THIS SITUATION OR THE SOFTWARE OR ???

tHANKS

It also depends on what ports they have open, if they allow only HTTP and POP3 outbound connections, etc. Have you tried connecting to the net via dial-up an tried connecting that way? (You bypass their infrastructure, and if you can connect via dial-up, you know it's their firewall that's blocking the ports.)

I think you are missing one basic issue.

VPN consists of two parts

1. A VPN server
2. The VPN clients

VPN pass through is used when you have a dedicated VPN server computer downstream of your router. In your case I think you are trying to use your Netgear as the VPN server (I use Dratek Vigor 2600 for the same purpose). I am also assuming that it supports teleworker connections like the Draytek gear aswell as LAN to LAN tunnels.

Therefore you need to switch OFF the vpn pass through and configure your router as a VPN server (cannot help you with this as not familiar with Netgear stuff). Configure a teleworker account for remote access and configure your laptop with the correct settings for a VPN link.

The other problem you may have is what type of IP address is the Netgear attached to on the internet side ? Dynamic or static IP. If it is dynamic you need to use DDNS services. A service I do not see listed on the router specs.

If you find that this router does not have the necessary configurations to get you working get yourself a Draytek Vigor 2600. They are easy to setup and support DDNS, have a built in DSL modem interface, firewall, VPN pass through and servers for PPTP, IPsec, and L2P.

Start with PPTP and you will be up and running in 10 minutes. IPsec is a little more complicated to setup on ALL routers due to Windows configurations required.

Try

www.bestsystemsdirect.com

for the Vigors - I am a regular customer and have 10 running my personal and company networks here in Mexico and International.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.