To start i am a first year student and I'm unclear on server and server types. If i have at least 196 workstations on a LAN network running win. XP and then segment the network into a student side and administration side how many servers running a Win. server 2008 OSI would i need. Is there a way to run everything on one server i.e mail server app., file services, web services ect. ?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

To start i am a first year student and I'm unclear on server and server types. If i have at least 196 workstations on a LAN network running win. XP and then segment the network into a student side and administration side how many servers running a Win. server 2008 OSI would i need. Is there a way to run everything on one server i.e mail server app., file services, web services ect. ?

It depend which kind of applications you are using from Server...

i'm a net admin i installed one server contains the following active directory+DNS+DHCP+IIS7 (for web sites)+antivirus server and this server serves 250 client and the performance is good.

depends on server spec.

I have seen a 64 bit dell poweredge with server 2003, 8gb ram handling ~350 clients just fine for doing AD/DNS/DHCP (No IIS).

then segment the network into a student side and administration sid

Why when you can just use group policies? (possibly in loopback mode?)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.