Hello, I'm having this weird problem with my network configuration. I had my modem going into a wireless router and a network cable going from there to a switch and finally into my computer and the neighboring room's computer. I disconnected the router to move it somewhere else and now it won't work even though the cables and the devices remained the same.

So I gave up on the router and connected my switch to the modem and now my win7 computer can access the internet, but the computer in the other room which has XP can't connect.

I changed routers, I changed cables, I reset computers, routers and modems. Nothing works, it's either my computer has connectivity and the other one doesn't or neither does. I'm driving myself insane staring at blinking lights, is there something wrong with my network?

Hello, I'm having this weird problem with my network configuration. I had my modem going into a wireless router and a network cable going from there to a switch and finally into my computer and the neighboring room's computer. I disconnected the router to move it somewhere else and now it won't work even though the cables and the devices remained the same.

So I gave up on the router and connected my switch to the modem and now my win7 computer can access the internet, but the computer in the other room which has XP can't connect.

I changed routers, I changed cables, I reset computers, routers and modems. Nothing works, it's either my computer has connectivity and the other one doesn't or neither does. I'm driving myself insane staring at blinking lights, is there something wrong with my network?

Post back the Brand of your router

take cable from modem into WAN on the router. plug cable from router into switch, plug computers into switch.
Do all this with power off to everything
Power up modem wait 1 minute
power up router wait 1 minute
power up switch - power up computers
if still no connection
Go to command prompt type in ipconfig /all
on both computers post back info
should have gateway of 192.168.x.x and
subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
computers should have 192.168.x.x
where the x's are could be from 1 to 3 numbers
regareds
Dock

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.