does anyone know of a good site to buy domains with a lot of space?

My group is looking to setup a website with a lot of space we are a non-profit organization called buckeye brook colliliton we are trying to protect the watersheds of warwick RI. any help would be greatly apreciated

alex

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

a couple gigs would be ok i think because we want to archive pictures and documents were people can access them

I've used LunarPages in the past and use ICDSoft now. I've had a good experience with them. Try the search and look for one according to your needs.

I've done my fair share of host testing over the years (and even worked for some of them!), and of all the companies that I have felt the most comfortable with (before moving over to my own dedicated server) was United Hosting (see http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk). They've got prices, the service and support is superb and the packages are more than adequate for most people's needs.

Regards,

Martyn

well lets strighten this stuff out...

first off a domain name is nothing but a domain name, it doesnt come with anyhosting what so ever.

once you have a domain name finding a good host should really depends on your storage and bw needs :)

well lets strighten this stuff out...

first off a domain name is nothing but a domain name, it doesnt come with anyhosting what so ever.

once you have a domain name finding a good host should really depends on your storage and bw needs :)

Although many hosts will do a deal which include a domain name with the hosting package.

Regards,

Martyn

but id highly advise agasint it :)

but id highly advise agasint it :)

Oh, I do agree with this and it's a great point to make. One good example of this is 1&1 (who, in the USA, are currently offering free web hosting - but it's a different story this side of the big pond).

Although I did not register a domain name with them when I took out some web hosting - they INSISTED that they have control of the DNS zones and consequently I had to transfer my Nominet domain to their tag (which means they have FULL control of the domain. Anyway, like the fool I was I gave them control and to cut a long story short the hosting service never went ahead and it took me a week to relinquish control.

The moral of this story: keep your domain name separate from the hosting wherever possible. Make sure that you are the owner of the domain and that you are in control, otherwise you could suffer from downtime when things go wrong and then have further problems when transferring to another ISP.

Regards,

Martyn

I'm an InterNIC -> Network Solutions -> VeriSign gal ;)

I'm an InterNIC -> Network Solutions -> VeriSign gal ;)

VeriSign?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! ;) But seriously I've had so many problems with them. They seriously mucked up one domain I had with them, to the extent they gave me another four years free renewal on it ;) It's now transferred to my provider of choice (EV1 - but that's not going to be everybody's cup of tea either) where it's just add another year added to it (so nothing more to pay for another five years).

At the end of the day it's all a matter of people's opinion and experiences. I'm sure VeriSign is not the evil company that I think it is, but from past personal dealings I wouldn't touch them again.

Regards,

Martyn (who owns too many domains for his own good/liking!)

Or, for less than $9/year you can register/renew with GoDaddy.com or one of their affiliates (like me) for even less...

I cringe when I hear that people are still paying $35/yr for a domain purchase/renewal/transfer!

Oh man, Verisign. I'm convinced that that company is not run by humans, but by Perl scripts. Ever try getting in touch with technical support? Good luck. Good luck e-mailing someone there for help. All you'll get back is some automated e-mail that never helps and does nothing but irritate you even more.

... I'm convinced that that company is not run by humans, but by Perl scripts. ...

If it were run by Perl scripts, there wouldn't be a problem :)

Yeah right. Ever look at a bad Perl Script? I've never seen anything more sloppier than Perl code. That language is too abused and it's the easiest to be sloppy in. I'd rather see bad sloppy C++ code with gotos than bad Perl code any day.

The same can be said about any programming/scripting language. I was referring to when Perl code is good. Personally, I've never made it further than "Hello World" with Perl, but everyone I know who does know Perl (among others) say that it's their language of choice, when given the option. According to one collegue, "Why write 5000 lines of C code when I can write 200 lines of Perl code to do the same thing?"

Frankly, Verisign and the RIAA should be piped into /dev/null - right along with the MPAA IMHO.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.