Hi all,

I have the exact problem Pulsewidth16 had in 2006 titled "Wireless Adapter Causes My XP to Freeze."
Pulsewidth16 stated their computer tech determined the adapter software was conflicting with the Windows XP wireless config program. I tried uninstalling the device software (SMCWUSB-G) and only re-installing the drivers. I also had Windows XP config my adapter. However, I get stuck when I try to connect to my network. My wireless network comes up with no problems, but when I try to connect and enter my WPA password, I never connect! It's not
that my WPA passcode is incorrect. I know 100% it is correct. For whatever reasons, it doesn't allow you to connect. I've tried calling ISP since they gave me the adapter for free, but when I do, the technicians don't know how to troubleshoot my adapter. I also called the adapter maker, SMC, but the calls are answered by technicians in India and
they work with me for 10 minutes and then tell me to check something and call back. They are just putting me off because they don't know how to resolve my problem and I've called them 4 times now.

Does anyone know how to fix my problem? I'm about to go nuts! Here is some more information:

*I am using an SMC EZ Connect G Wireless adapter (SMCWUSB-G) on Windows XP Professional (32 bit).
*My computer is a Dell Optiplex GX520
* I have verified all BIOS and drivers for my Dell Optiplex GX520 is up to date.
*I've tried moving the adapter to another computer, but it too crashes (It's an Optiplex as well).
*I've swapped out my SMC adapter for a brand new one and the same problem happens.
*I've tried using other USB adapters on my computer, but my computer still crashes.

Event Viewer:

03/07/2010 9:29:05 PM Tcpip Information None 4201 N/A MICHELLE The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{606A509B-E2C5-468D-B4A5-343A1B1D2DB2} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
03/07/2010 9:28:58 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The Wireless Zero Configuration service entered the stopped state.
03/07/2010 9:28:57 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7035 MICHELLE\averym MICHELLE The Wireless Zero Configuration service was successfully sent a stop control.
03/07/2010 9:28:17 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.
03/07/2010 9:28:15 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM MICHELLE The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.
03/07/2010 9:28:15 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The Telephony service entered the running state.
03/07/2010 9:28:14 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The Application Layer Gateway Service service entered the running state.
03/07/2010 9:28:14 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM MICHELLE The Application Layer Gateway Service service was successfully sent a start control.
03/07/2010 9:28:04 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.
03/07/2010 9:28:04 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM MICHELLE The SSDP Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control.
03/07/2010 9:28:04 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The Terminal Services service entered the running state.
03/07/2010 9:28:04 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A MICHELLE The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.
03/07/2010 9:28:04 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM MICHELLE The Terminal Services service was successfully sent a start control.
03/07/2010 9:28:04 PM Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM MICHELLE The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start control.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Does it work in safe mode with networking ? Also have you tried disabling wireless zero completely and using just the smc stuff (i'm sure you have just asking).

This is happening to me also! Same situation...

SMC EZ Connect G Wireless adapter (SMCWUSB-G) on Windows XP Professional (32 bit) makes Windows XP Reboot at the time I add my pen. Funny thing, It doesnt even Loads XP (the loading screen reboots again) unless I remove the USB pen..... tested with a Thomson 123g USB and worked just fine... SMC doesn't reply at all I will never buy a product from them in life.

Perhaps the software of that particular product or brand doesn't comply with XP

maybe there's an update for the driver, check the SMC website(if they have one):)

perhaps the system is an old model dat is only design for wired networks, and if nit, may be the hard drive has some bad sectors or the operating system is undergoing some problems before the installation of the wireless that u might not know.

switch over to windows 7....it will resolve all ur problems...i2 fACED similar problems wid winxp.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.