Im not too sure if this is the right area for my question....My friend has DSL at home and was wondering if it would be possible for him to make his DSL into a wireless network similar to a eithernet wireless hub. More specifically is there wireless hubs that could accept both styles of cable, DSL and eithernet cable. If there is equipment out please feel free to recommand it......but remember this is a student so price is a matter :-).

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Im not too sure if this is the right area for my question....My friend has DSL at home and was wondering if it would be possible for him to make his DSL into a wireless network similar to a eithernet wireless hub. More specifically is there wireless hubs that could accept both styles of cable, DSL and eithernet cable. If there is equipment out please feel free to recommand it......but remember this is a student so price is a matter :-).

yes yes yes. any internet can be made into wireless. dsl can too. i have it it is easy to do. i have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and it workes like a charm and is super easy to setup. How you do it:

purchase a wireless router
go to where you want to install it
take your phone line plug it into the modem for your dsl
take your modem ethernet to your router and then all you have to do is put in your username and main password for say sbcglobal or whatever and you are set (contact your isp for help they should guide you hopefully)
at any rate it is essientally the same as setting up any wired router only that it is wireless also.

ps all internet is the same form...it doesnt matter if you are satallite, dsl, dls, cable, t1, t3, etc. they all use the same hardware. They wont even know the difference. The only thing that differs between internet types is the upload and download speed. hope this helps, chris

But I though that DSL used the phone line for internet use and wireless use eithernet cable. If im wrong please tell me :)......thx for all your help:-)

You connect your DSL modem via an Ethernet cable to the router. It looks like this:

)
Phone line  +-----+ Ethernet Cable  +--------+      ))
------------| DSL |=================| router | =*    ))) wireless
            |modem|                 |        |      ))
            +-----+                 +--------+      )

That's my poor ASCII art diagram of it, but that's how it would look.

But I though that DSL used the phone line for internet use and wireless use eithernet cable. If im wrong please tell me :)......thx for all your help:-)

ok you are right and wrong at the same time. ill try to explain. DSL runs through your phone line, cable runs through your cable lines. they hook up to a DSL modem or Cable modem which each modem has a ethernet port that outputs a cable to either your computer or wireless router like he showed in the diagram above. They both end up as an ethernet cable, they only differ as how they come into your house. Make sense?

Oh thanks......that makes it much more understanding. Now my final question.... :-) Can you recommand a good wireless dsl system that can interact with other wireless system if given the password? Again thank you very much for your time. :-)

Oh thanks......that makes it much more understanding. Now my final question.... :-) Can you recommand a good wireless dsl system that can interact with other wireless system if given the password? Again thank you very much for your time. :-)

Ok i think i know what your trying to say. You want to have a wireless network in your house (where you can share files, printers, play games, etc together with your own computers)? It is very simple. It is even easier if your computers are windows xp. All you will need is once you get the wireless setup in your house, you will need wireless adapters for your other computers (most newer laptops have it already, and desktop adapters are realitively cheap). That will get all your other computers sharing internet wirelessly. Any wireless router will do this, you just have to configure your computers to network towards eachother. If this is what you are talking about let me know if not please give more detail and ill try and answer your question :)
Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.