Hi all, I need to connect through ftp on some server to do some changes but I think that they use some rules to avoid connection from other foreigner countries (is it possible in your opinion). Basically I receive the 510 error with login and password incorrect but if my friends try with the same user and password in the same country of the server they got no problem!

So I was thinking to use some proxy but... I have no server to di proxy and anyway the proxy usually is for http protocol... i'm right?

I'd appreciate any suggestion!

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

if you want to find out if there is a proxy involved use traceroute (tracert on windows systems) to show you how your packets are being routed to the host.

traceroute <hostname or ip address>

If the tracert looks good then try using telnet and the port (21 for ftp) to see if you can connect to ftp.

telnet <hostname or IP>:21

Don't know, i tried with traceroute and also with nmap.
The port 21 is open but with the same login my friend does from Italy (where the server is) ... he log in, me not!

google for an anonymous proxy in italy, and punch that into your ftp client. It's weird they would block it like that though.

Yes good idea, I think I have no alternative.
Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.