i have one desktop (windows vista) and laptop (windows 7), what is the simplest possible way to connect these two so that i can share data.
please mention the items required.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Screen sharing or file sharing. I can teach you how to enable that. First your firewall setting must not be set to block file sharing or other connections.

If you have a router, you can simply plug both computers into the router, and configure a LAN set-up, and enable file sharing on both of them by creating a home network. The laptob can even connect without a cable to the router if the router support wireless connections. In other words, you need a router with at least two ports on it, and ethernet cables to connect to it.

A good "how to" TUT to do it without a router, you can find here:

http://www.labnol.org/software/connect-computers-without-router/11049/

Yup i agreed with kraai, first both computer have to be on the same network or you can use a cable. Most router have two ports so you can use a cable, but network is even better. Hope this helps

I think you have a switch on the line, you just need to insert the switch in the two networks simultaneously

commented: I think you spam -1
commented: Sig spammer +0

cross over cable

I think you have a switch on the line, you just need to insert the switch in the two networks simultaneously

That is precisely what kraai had said, try not to repeat what people had said and claim credit for that.

mayank.dyl, how is your problem so far, can you share data now. Please tell us, if cannot we will give you more clearer and detail instuctions. Good luck

try switch hub, then used the cross cable connection, create a workgoup name... and IP's of it's PC try to used Static IP, example.. pc1 IP 10.10.10.3 second pc IP 10.10.10.4 try to ping the pc connected to it....

commented: well said benmar +0

First of all thanks a lot for your replies.
But cannt i simply connect two computers using a single lan wire by plugging in one end in one pc and other end in laptop i.e. without using any hub or switch.
Please tell me about the settings to be done in windows also.

First of all thanks a lot for your replies.
But cannt i simply connect two computers using a single lan wire by plugging in one end in one pc and other end in laptop i.e. without using any hub or switch.

You never followed my link on my post above? It is the answer to this exact question of yours. I already explained to you how to do it via a router, and the link teaches you step by step with pictures how to do it directly.

Anyhow, here is the link again:

http://www.labnol.org/software/connect-computers-without-router/11049/

Yes you can do this ... with the help of a single wire .. but it must be cross over cable .. You side will be pluged to laptop and second will be on the desktop.

And then all what you have to do is.. give the ip address to the both computer. You can give any public ip address to both of your compuer but be sure they must of same class and same network.
if you donn't have idea about it..then give these ip add :
On win7 IP: 192.168.0.1 subnetmask : 255.255.255.0
and in
winvista : IP: 192.168.0.1 subnetmask : 255.255.255.0 .

Hopefully it will help you...... but be sure to use crossover cable to connect these two computer.

commented: Nice +6

mayank.dyl First of all thanks a lot for your replies.

Yes there comes a LAN cable for the connection of two computers. Just visit to the nearest computer store and you will definitely get it over there.

Guys m confused now, m only having a LAN cable how can i connect two computers with wind7?

Just plug the both system with cable and try to connect with IP address

Yap there are good link to learn that what mention in above..

commented: Don't clutter threads with useless comments like this. -3

Guys stop posting random stuff if you are not experience in networking. The original poster have not return since a month ago so we can only hope that his problem is resolved. If you had any other brilliant solutions, we will encourage you to post but not nonsense. Hope you understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.