Hey all,

This is my first post. I have a netgear rp614 router, and have a pretty odd (at least to my knowledge) problem. I get connection, but the connection disconnects itself off and on. about every 3-4 mins my connection fails, and then relogs itself. I have tried configuring the cat5 with a crossover, not successful. I also tried computer to computer connection Via a 3rd ethernet card. This is the way I would prefer to set up my network, but no matter what I try through the network wizard, I can not establish a connection on the second computer. I also tried a crossover cat5 wire here. I NEED HELP! :D

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

if you bypass the router, and connect the pc that's losing it's connection every 3-4 minutes directly to your isp connection does it maintain a connection (say, for at least 30 minutes), or does it still drop out after 3-4 minutes?

Hey all,

This is my first post. I have a netgear rp614 router, and have a pretty odd (at least to my knowledge) problem. I get connection, but the connection disconnects itself off and on. about every 3-4 mins my connection fails, and then relogs itself. I have tried configuring the cat5 with a crossover, not successful. I also tried computer to computer connection Via a 3rd ethernet card. This is the way I would prefer to set up my network, but no matter what I try through the network wizard, I can not establish a connection on the second computer. I also tried a crossover cat5 wire here. I NEED HELP! :D

if you bypass the router, and connect the pc that's losing it's connection every 3-4 minutes directly to your isp connection does it maintain a connection (say, for at least 30 minutes), or does it still drop out after 3-4 minutes?

Both Computers will hold connection if they are hooked up to the modem independantly. But when using a the router neither computer holds connection.

I have tried updating the firmware, and resetting the router so far. Both have failed obviously.

OK, at least that eliminates two sources of issues,so that much is good. correct me if i'm wrong here, but I take it you're running a connection directly into the rp614 non-wireless router (what type - coax?), then two ethernet connections out of it, one to each pc. Are any of the ethernet cables to long to the point that you've coiled up the excess? Or are any of the ethernet cables running over or near sources of interference (such as doorbell or thermostat step-down transformers, fluorescent lighting, microwave ovens, etc.)? Also, when you were losing the connection after 3-4 minutes was it always the same computer, or was it both, or...?

Correct it is a Non-Wireless connection to a cable modem, so yes Coax input to the modem. Then Modem to rp614 and 2 cat5 cables out to seperate computers. Both cat5 cables are very long, one computer is on the first floor so 20ft is needed, and the other is in the basement. Both wires are coiled up - BUT when used seperately with these same wires straight from the modem, a single computer will work fine. both cat5 wires are in good working condition - throughout

Now the issue of whether both computers go down. Yes both go offline at the same time and regain an internet connection at the same time. The first floor computer is near a microwave, but has always been there, and was hooked up to the basement computer before. I moved out, and then came back. Now, the first time they were hooked up successfully, they were connected like this - Modem to integrated 10/100 ethernet, then secondary ehternet card out to the upstairs computer. I do not know why this refuses to work for me now.

Sounds like your router is the issue. Constant self-rebooting is a typical problem for routers these days for some reason. When the router reboots, it will disconnect both your machines until it fully boots up. It typically takes anywhere from 5-30 seconds to regain a connection. Does this sound like what you are experiencing?

yeah that describes it pretty well. Perhaps you could help me figure out why I can't do it through 2 seperate ethernet cards... Because honestly I would rather bypass the router completely anyways. I have tried everything that the network connection wizard has suggested with no progress.

it may well be the router, but it may be be something else, or something else in conjunction with the router being futzy; best way to resolve the situation is to figure out first what's exactly wrong & go from there. yes, you could bypass the the router entirely: go from the ethernet output from the modem into pc#1, nic#1, then out of pc#1, nic#2 (or port#2 if you happen to have/get a dual port ethernet nic), to pc#2, nic#1 (only 1 nic needed on pc#2). you have to setup ip schemes and make sure there aren't compatibility issues, but, it's typically not that big of a deal. thing is, the setup you have should work fine - if the equipment is functioning properly - so why not take a few steps to see if you can get it working?

first thing i'd do is uncoil the ethernet cables (btw, if you've got store-bought cables, the lengths of the cables typically aren't an issue, it's how they're run than causes most cabling related issues); there's varying schools of thought of what the highest number of coils a cable is capable of absorbing the (induction) interference of, but it's been my experience that it can tolerate three to four coils without adding to one's frustration levels. what i do, when i don't feel like cutting down a length of cable & crimping on a new jack, is snake the cable back & forth so that there's typically no more than three runs of cable next to each other - & usually just two.

also, when you say "...these same wires straight from the modem, a single computer will work fine." are you saying that you're straigtening out the length of cable, or are you still leaving them in their coiled up positions? if so, how many times do you have the cables coiled ontop of themselves? this maybe the root of the problem, or it may be inconsequential, but without finding out what's-what we won't know for sure.

I have tried each cable, on each computer, where they stand with all the coils (tons of coils btw) and with no interferance or loss of connection on either machine. I feel as if the cables are not the problem seeing as how I have had an established connection on this machine for 5-6 hours now continuously, and the other machine earlier in the day for 3-4 hours without a single interuption. I also tried to bypass the router, and did absolutley everything I could possibly try to get both machines to work. I even had my friend (a network administator - and has a bachelors in networking) come bye, and we STILL failed at a connection. The screwy thing is, These 2 machines, with the exact hardware now as well as before, have worked fine together for 2 years prior to this particular incident. I moved away for 7 months and the same router I have now worked fine at the other residence. Now here at home, we didn't use the router, we went computer to computer - but for some god unknown reason neither way wants to work. I have tried substituting NIC cards, and updating drivers, and roll-over wires, and ping tests, all types of settings, - nothing wants to work for me. I have no clue what to do next, and neither does my friend (the IT guy)

...where they stand with all the coils (tons of coils btw)...

...with unshielded twisted pair cabling this will cause issues, period.

...and with no interferance or loss of connection on either machine.

...hmmm, ok, then what was your original problem?

I have found the cause of the malfunction. I am using integrated 10/100 connection on the machine the primary connection comes from. Also on the other machine. I have tried using a ethernet card to connect machine #2 turns out all 3 of my Ethernet cards are shot/incompatible - with my machines - tried updating drivers - no good. I bought a new belkin ethernet card and the connection now works. Sorry for all the run around. Figures it would be something so stupid.

Also turns out my ISP has become really ascinine. I have been paying for what I call "incomplete connection" Turns out because I have 2 computers hooked up to the same Internet, I have to pay more now. So when I had 1 computer I payed $39.95 but now since I have 2 they have to bump it to $44.95, so I get a complete connection - not and on again off again connection. And mostly just because they can.

Money makes the world go round I guess.

...And mostly just because they can...

Man, that just plain stinks! :evil:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.