Hi All

(Sorry if this is the wrong place, it's an odd question so couldn't think where else!)

I need to setup email alerts on a Cathexis CCTV Server which runs NetBSD and Cathexis' Cat6000 software. However, it only gives the option for address and smtp (nothing else), and our corporate domain is too long for it to read.

So I'm looking for a free email provider that doesn't require SSL and will work without any other settings?

Sounds daft I know

Any help is greatly appreciated

Darren

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Welcome back darrenw89, although i do not know you:D Sorry, i have never heard of Email that are capable to send mails with SSl authentication.

>> Sorry if this is the wrong place, it's an odd question so couldn't think where else!

Networking forum? Not sure. Maybe you should flag your own post as a bad post and ask the mods to move it to wherever they think appropriate.

>> So I'm looking for a free email provider that doesn't require SSL and will work without any other settings?

I'm not sure any of the big ones want to deal with SSL-less e-mail anymore. The war is over. The spammers won. We're all stuck with SSL now. Whether you can set it up to use it WITHOUT SSL is one issue. Whether, assuming you can, the e-mails ever get to the OTHER end without being rejected is another. We've all worked places where there's some default filter that we can't seem to overcome. So if you find a way to do it, then send an SSL-less e-mail on the wrong port or whatever to, say, Yahoo Mail, there's a damn good chance it'll never get there. Ditto most ISP email accounts. If it's all internal, well that gives you a lot more options.

>> Sounds daft I know

It's not daft. I don't know if it's feasible though, at least not for "normal" e-mail use. If you're interested in the Server-Side script approach, you can likely mail it through your website by using a PHP script or a Perl script or whatever, but that requires at least a little programming where you POST the contents to the script, then PHP mails it.

As far as how to configure the actual e-mail server to allow it, no clue. I've always avoided learning about them in the theory that if I ever learn how they work, I'll be drafted into maintaining it.

Thanks for the response, some very good points there.

Due to the software it's running I can't run any other scripts etc, which is a shame.

So really just looking for a free email provider that doesn't require SSL

Darren

One of my friends also had this problem with her business software. I came here, among other places, trying to help her. In the end, she said that an email address from www.zazzoweb.com "worked like a charm"... and it isn't free, but it is very cheap.

When the email is set up, it is automatically configured:

WITH SSL: POP3 Port 995 / SMTP Port 465

AND

WITHOUT SSL: POP3 Port 110 / SMTP Ports 80, 3535, 25

I hope this helps the next person looking for answers.

Solution is easy. You need to run a server with Postfix. Setup postfix to accept SMTP traffic and relay all traffic outbound to your ISP using the SSL that you should be using.

I have this setup at my home. My DVR only sends SMTP on port 25. So I have it send all alerts to a local server running POSTFIX which then turns around and relays the message out to my ISP on the encrypted port. Works like a charm.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.