PC: Hewlett Packard, m1090n Media Center
Modem Type: Black Ambit Modem

Normally, I use a usb connection from my modem to my computer. However, I am trying to setup a wireless network in my house and therefore need a direct ethernet connection from my computer to my modem.

I am aware of the power cycling process, that is not my issue. After the power cycling process and switching connections from usb, to ethernet repeatedly flashes "A network cable is unplugged". What appears to be happening is my connection is attempting to get an IP address and it keeps getting cut-off, a red "x" appears over the connection every 3 seconds, or so.

After viewing this event, I take a look at the back of my mintower, in which a various display of indicator lights exist. My ethernet port light is blinking orange and then green, repeatedly. If someone could help me with this issue, I would seriously appreciate it.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you are going wireless, have you gotten your wireless router yet?

As for the issue with your computer, have you tried turning off the router, turning off your computer, disconnecting the USB cable on both ends, connecting the CAT5 cable, fully starting up the modem, and then powering on your computer?

If you are going wireless, have you gotten your wireless router yet?

As for the issue with your computer, have you tried turning off the router, turning off your computer, disconnecting the USB cable on both ends, connecting the CAT5 cable, fully starting up the modem, and then powering on your computer?

Indeed, that is the power cycling process. Could it possibly be, because I have simply purchased a random store bought ethernet cord and it may not be the one needed? Also at this point in operation the wireless connection does not exist, the main focus is an ethernet modem to the computer.

If you're switching from one connection to another, whether it be from a USB to Ethernet, the otherway around or from one Ethernet connection to another, most cable modems need to be reset. The following is a typical process for switching connections, but it's important that you double check with your ISP, as some ISP's have the connection info configured into the cable modem and this reset process may well clear those settings. Even if that happens it's usually not a big deal to reconfigure the modem, but why look for more problems? Anyway, typically I would shut down the computer in question, unplug the power cord to the modem and wait approximately 15 seconds (the wait time is a much debated topic, but in the grand scheme of things its a small price to pay to get your connection going, imho). While you're waiting the 15 seconds or so for the modem to clear it's prior connection go ahead and change whatever cabling you need to. Once you've waited the 15 seconds or so and have changed the cabling as needed go ahead an power up the modem. The tell-tales (indicator lights) on modems can differ from model-to-model and mfgr-to-mfgr, but most all of them will have a power light, and then many of them will have either separate receive and transmit indicators or a single Internet or ISP connection indicator, as well as a PC or LAN connection indicator. Whatever tell-tales you have, wait to power up the PC until you know your cable modem is powered up properly (usually a solid green light) and has a connection to your ISP - it shouldn't show a connection to your PC or LAN (router) as yet since it's not powered up. Once all this looks good go ahead and power up your PC, or if your connecting to a LAN via a router leave the PC off momentarily until the router has been powered up (obviously, since it's being powered up here, it should have been unplugged previously along with the modem) - usually just a few seconds but, as with the cable modem, it can take up to a few minutes, and then go ahead and power up the PC(s).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.