I have a Laptop connected to the internet via a D-link 524g router and the problem i keep having is that I keep losing my connection around the house or it keeps dropping all the way down to 1 Mbps. What can I do to solve this?

Somebody told me I may need to add an access point, if so which one would you recommend? Thanks
By the way I am running Xp.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you're near the D-Link do you maintain a good connection?

Yes for the most part If i'm in the same room it will work ok.

OK, that's a good sign. If the D-Link isn't centrally located you may want to consider relocating it to a central/more centrally located position - rather than spending the money for another AP. If doing that helps maintain a connection throughout the house then, obviously, you're good to go. If not then getting AP's would be the way to go. Since you already have a D-Link, and if you're relatively happy with it, then I'd recommend staying with that mfgr. I haven't used anything but Linksys for personal setups, so I really couldn't tell you what other brands to go with, but basically so long as you can return the unit within a reasonable period then I would say just get the most cost effective unit and test the heck out of it before the return policy (find out all the details as some stores will want to charge a restocking fee if the unit is not defective, and if it is they'll want to simply swap it out - although speaking to the manager may get you around that barb). Remember to leave yourself a couple of days to return it just incase something unexpected props up. Good Luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.