After trying unsucessfuly to "secure" an unsecured wireless router connection I have somehow got into a position where I cannot get my browser to load my routers ip adddress. Thanks to anyone who can help

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I am curious on how did you tryed to secure the unsecured wireless.

there is a reset button the back of the router ,disconnect from computer and using a paper clip, hold it in till the lights flash

With this action, hopefully you reset the router to the default configuration.
Usually, this configuration uses a DHCP server in the router to supply the internal LAN addresses.
Try to connect the router to your lan card using a cable.

In your computer configuration, is there a dinamic address configured (using DHCP) or just a fixed one?

If is fixed, then note the current configuration (to restore it if the next step fails) and try to use the DHCP option for IP Address and DNS.

Disable the lan card and enable it again.

If this option allows you to connect to the router, then using the command IPCONFIG /ALL from a CMD window, will show the current configuration, and hopefully the default gateway is the address of the router.

Most of the routers have a web server that allows you to connect to them using the http://routerAdress from a browser, and there asks for a user id and a pasword.

Here you must have the router documentation in order to know the default pasword, or call the support services of the manufacturer.

Hope this helps

commented: Great advice +11

try your ping to check out your ip address.

try your ping to check out your ip address.

i know you just post to show links in your signature ,but why not at least tell the poster how to check his ping .

i know you just post to show links in your signature ,but why not at least tell the poster how to check his ping .

He wouldn't be able to do so for two reasons:

1. He has no clue
  2. and he cannot tell us that because he was banned (evil laught here)

He wouldn't be able to do so for two reasons:

1. He has no clue
  2. and he cannot tell us that because he was banned (evil laught here)

lol

From what I think, the OP wants to password protect his network but he failed to do so. After some random thing happen, he has trouble entering his router control panel via his IP address.

Forgetting the IP address and firewall could have cause this.

@ OP
It would help if you can give us your router brand and model.

@ caperjack
You don't have to disconnect the router from the computer to reset it. And it some cases, the routers' reset button have to hold down for a certain number of seconds.

Hi Blithebill,
If the router was successfully reset, then it must be assigned the default network address which is usually 192.168.1.1. What you'll need to do is, connect directly from your computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. Assign your computer's Ethernet card with an I.P in the network 192.168.1.0/24; 192.168.1.10 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 would be a good choice. After doing this, try accessing the router's web interface at http://192.168.1.1.
Good luck.

@ caperjack
You don't have to disconnect the router from the computer to reset it. And it some cases, the routers' reset button have to hold down for a certain number of seconds.

perhaps not ,nut my old Belkin manual must have recommended it i wouldn't have retained that piece info .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.