Hi
Anyone knows a freeware 3rd party tool which can help enable/disable the LAN connection on a PC, without using the usual Right click -> Disable method on the system tray icon in windows XP? I've been asked this question myself by an end-user, who uses the Right-click method to disable, but after a couple of disables per day, he has to restart the PC as there is packet flooding which occurs for the sent packets. The user is in fact testing an application with a remote database hosted on the office LAN, and at times need to check whether processes are still executed when the LAN connection is disable on his PC. Google did not return anything conclusive, unless I made the wrong search...:$

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

I found a Microsoft command line tool called WMIC which can disable or enable the NIC.

1. Get a list of NICs and their index numbers with the command:

wmic nic get name, index

2. Find the index number of the device you wish to disable.

3. Using the index number the disable command is:

wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=7 call disable

The index numbers do not change unless you add or remove a device so you could put this in a batch file.

A site that has a video about this:
http://itcookbook.net/blog/enabling-and-disabling-nics-commandline-windows

Hello,

I found a Microsoft command line tool called WMIC which can disable or enable the NIC.

1. Get a list of NICs and their index numbers with the command:

wmic nic get name, index

2. Find the index number of the device you wish to disable.

3. Using the index number the disable command is:

wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=7 call disable

The index numbers do not change unless you add or remove a device so you could put this in a batch file.

A site that has a video about this:
http://itcookbook.net/blog/enabling-and-disabling-nics-commandline-windows

Thnx sounds interesting, will give it a try

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.