Hello!

Just a question, I have a Bell turbo hub but my computer is at the other end of my house so I hardly get 2 bars when I connect to the turbo hub. I can't move the hub because my family's computer has no wireless card. I don't want to buy one because my dad said he want's to buy a new computer soon.

So, can I hook up my Dlink DIR-601 Wireless router up to my turbo hub without any wires?
They are both wireless so I was wondering of there was a way so I can have a better internet signal.

Thanks,
javanoob101

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

honestly, i've never seen a second router as a repeater unless somehow it physically has a cable ran to it and run it as another access point only without routing. I would look for a wireless repeater if you want to truly do without running cable. I think they can run between $30-$50 and can setup using the same SSID. Cheapest solution by far or get a high powered wireless router to replace the bell turbo. anything with the word hub worries my anywas since it shares the same 100mb connection with all ports unlike a switch.

Ok, good to know.
I don't think I'll be buying on as like I said earlier, we may be buying a new computer soon.

Thanks!
javanoob101

You can try moving either your wireless router or the wireless antenna for your card to a higher position while leaving it in the same room. If the antenna on either is to close to the floor the high frequency signal can cause interference with its self. Moving it to a higher location gives you a stronger signal. Or you can create a simple signal booster by placing the router antenna about 2 inches from the corner of the 90 degree angle (corner) cut from a box and lined with foil. Try Googleing wireless antenna booster. They can boost the signal by a factor of 10.

Ok, good to know.
I don't think I'll be buying on as like I said earlier, we may be buying a new computer soon.

Thanks!
javanoob101

computers don't really change the wireless signal, but if you're not getting full strengh in the whole house then something is wrong. EMI (Electoric Magnectic Interferance) is a huge player in networking. Microwaves and flourecent bulbs do this most often and can cause intermitten and loss of internet.

Great replies thanks!
I didn't think of all the other sources of interference but know that it has been mentioned it seen logical.

I'll move my hub up higher and see if that helps.

Thanks
javanoob101

Well, after 10 months of being on Daniweb, I'd like to close this thread I started. To all those interested, my Bell turbo hub (the netgear one MBR1210? or something) has the wireless reapeating function built into it! so it is possible as long as the router/hub supports it and you use a supporting device.

javanoob101
(sorry for opening a dead thread!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.