Hello guys i'm currently having difficulties with pinging different vlans whether they are on the same switch or not.

I have 3 vlans: vlan 30, vlan 40, vlan 50.
I have 1 switch which I use as the VTP server and 7 switches connected to it which I use as the VTP clients
I can ping all PCs on vlan 30 no matter what switch they are connected to, same for vlan 40 and 50. The problem is that I can't ping different vlans i.e can't ping PC on vlan 30 to PC on vlan 50.

I have tried to go into the VTP server and set the "switchport trunk allowed vlan all" command but it still doesn't work. It seems that the problem is under the VTP clients as when I ran a simulation the packet from vlan 30 will go throught the VTP server (switch) trunk with no problem but once it reaches the VTP client (switch) of vlan 40 or 50 it just disappears.

below is how my network looks like.
The ip address which are with xxx.xxx.3.xxx are part of vlan 30 (except the ftp server and PC xxx.xxx.3.99)
The ip address which are with xxx.xxx.4.xxx are part of vlan 40
The ip address which are with xxx.xxx.5.xxx are part of vlan 50

Click Here

Everything works except 'inter vlan pinging'

Note: I know there are many switches however that is because of the requirements i was given.

Do you have routing setup on that switch? To go from one subnet to another, you have to enable routing on the switch or have router.

p on that switch? To go from one subnet to another, you have to enable routing on the switch or have router.

You need to enable the interVlan
routing between the vlans

you need to enable inter vlan routing as stated above or you can also configure a router on a stick

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.