Hi,

Can anyone help out? I have this problem here with my internet access that is just driving me crazy.

Currently, Im sharing the 128k broadband through router. Whenever my brother is downloading using bitcomet, my computer cant get much bandwidth. And that leaves me mad, cos I need to download files too. And my brother jus wouldnt stop hogging the net.

Is there a solution so that bandwidth will be shared equally among the broadband users??

Please help out. Thanks!! Will really appreciate that.

-Daisy

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

A fairly common question/problem; the solution is known as "bandwidth limiting", "bandwidth shaping", or "bandwidth throttling".

The options are basically these:

1. Use a router which supports QoS (Quality of Service). Through QoS, the router can manage/limit/prioritize bandwidth usage on a per-computer, per-application, or per-port basis. The Linksys WRT54G is one popular router which has QoS, but there are others.
This is probably the best (and least complex) solution for you.

2. Bandwidth-shaping applications such as NetLimiter can be installed. However, the software would have to be installed on the computer whose bandwidth you want to control, and I doubt your brother is going to go for that...

3. A cheap Linux machine can be used instead of (or in addition to) a hardware router. The Linux OS has built-in network routing/filtering capabilities which make it a pretty powerful solution for traffic management, but the downside is that you really need to know what you're doing. If you aren't Linux-savy, this solution isn't for you.

hey, thanks for your help. will try out!

You're welcome; feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
Also- I see that this is your first thread- welcome to our site! :)

am new ,joined recently. i have a big problem, during the between the hours of 7am and 8pm my system is as good as dead but at night its more than ok.

several times have called my isp provided they keep saying the fault is from me.
what could be happening ?is it possible some one is using my ip at day and sleeping at night ?pls i need your urgent reply.
sam

Hi samsada,

First of all- welcome to DaniWeb :)

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, makes/model #s of your hardware devices, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.