I have just bought a new laptop which is wireless but I have no idea how to get it connected to the internet. I have the internet on the computer already in my house. With the laptop, there was a small phone adapter (I don't know if this is the wireless adapter as it does not say). I just don't know what to plug in and where!

On the small icons at the bottom right of the laptop, it says that network cables have been unplugged. I don't know if this has anything to do with the adaptor I have here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi qinteriors, welcome to our site :)

We'll need more specific information in order to help you most quickly; can you please tell us:

* The brand and model of the laptop.
* What type of Internet service you already have in the house (cable, DSL, or dial-up).
* If you have cable or DSL, does your current computer connect directly to the cable/DSL modem? If so, what is the exact make/model # of the modem.
* If you know that your current setup includes a broadband router or a switch, please give us the make/model of that device as well.

Hi DMR,

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Here is the information you asked for which may help:

Laptop: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 1650 AMD 64 Mobile Athlon 3400+
80gb, 3.4ghz, 512mb ram, WiFi enabled, 10/100 LA card, modem, integrated wireless LA 802.11g, windows XP home, dial up modem.

The internet I have on current home computer: Modem Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem.

I do not have a router and I do not know about a switch.

I hope this information may be of some help!

Emma
Qinteriors@aol.com

Hi qinteriors, welcome to our site :)

We'll need more specific information in order to help you most quickly; can you please tell us:

* The brand and model of the laptop.
* What type of Internet service you already have in the house (cable, DSL, or dial-up).
* If you have cable or DSL, does your current computer connect directly to the cable/DSL modem? If so, what is the exact make/model # of the modem.
* If you know that your current setup includes a broadband router or a switch, please give us the make/model of that device as well.

The Good News: Your computer has built-in wireless circuitry, so getting that configured shouldn't be difficult.

The internet I have on current home computer: Modem Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem.

*Groan*... and that's the Bad News:

Unfortunately, that modem only allows you to connect one computer to it at a time, and it only has a USB connection for that computer (it has no connection for an Ethernet network cable, and no wireless capability).

Ideally, you want to get (possibly from your ISP?) a modem with a built-in wireless router; this will obviate the need to purchase a separate wireless broadband router. A broadband router will be necessary with your current DSL modem, as the modem alone only allows for one computer connection. You'll also need topurchase a USB-to-Ethernet adapter for your modem, which will allow you to add a wireless router without too much hassle. Such a setup would give you the capability of connecting multiple computers both by Ethernet wiring and via wireless.

hi DMR

Thank you very much for your help and your solution! I will go ahead with getting hold of these items. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Emma

The Good News: Your computer has built-in wireless circuitry, so getting that configured shouldn't be difficult.

*Groan*... and that's the Bad News:

Unfortunately, that modem only allows you to connect one computer to it at a time, and it only has a USB connection for that computer (it has no connection for an Ethernet network cable, and no wireless capability).

Ideally, you want to get (possibly from your ISP?) a modem with a built-in wireless router; this will obviate the need to purchase a separate wireless broadband router. A broadband router will be necessary with your current DSL modem, as the modem alone only allows for one computer connection. You'll also need topurchase a USB-to-Ethernet adapter for your modem, which will allow you to add a wireless router without too much hassle. Such a setup would give you the capability of connecting multiple computers both by Ethernet wiring and via wireless.

You're welcome :)
Feel free to ask if you have any questions along the way....

how to connect lap to lap wirless connection

how to connect lap to lap wirless connection

I should be grateful if you could help me. We have a Japanese visitor who has a laptop and we have wireless, but neither she nor I know how to connect the two.

Since you have a japan vistor, it is most likely that the laptop will be in japanese. Ask the vistor whether she can change the language to english first ( if it is not in english ). After that is done, i will give you more help. For the time being, you can try thse steps.

1) Make sure the wireless switch on the laptop is turn on at the side of the laptop
2) Make sure no firewall or other security software is blocking the connections. Don't disable the firewall, just change the settings so the user can connect to internet.

Can the japanese visitor connect to other network. If no that means the problem lies with his/her laptop if yes that means the network is having problem itself.

Does the Internet work with the firewall disabled? Does firefox or any other
internet application work?

I have just bought a new laptop which is wireless but I have no idea how to get it connected to the internet. I have the internet on the computer already in my house. With the laptop, there was a small phone adapter (I don't know if this is the wireless adapter as it does not say). I just don't know what to plug in and where!

On the small icons at the bottom right of the laptop, it says that network cables have been unplugged. I don't know if this has anything to do with the adaptor I have here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I hope this source will help you
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080815223424AAB62Vb

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.