Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. :) I've also posted the problem I was facing on the Mikrotik forum, but it takes a while for a reply to be approved and I really want to solve this problem quickly. I'm trying to set up a remote surveillance system for my house.

I'm a newbie when it comes to using Mikrotik. I'm using a Mikrotik Metal 2SHPn. I've got 4 Wireless IP cameras that I want to be able to view remotely from wherever I am. The problem is, I'm not sure how to configure my router to do this so I need help right from router configuration to remote viewing of IP cameras. I've been stuck on this for days. I've tried using Quickset and set the Mikrotik configuration mode on "router", but I wasn't able to connect to the internet once I plugged my Mikrotik in my modem, neither was I able to see my cameras both internally and remotely. I've tried putting the mode to "bridge" and I was able to connect to the internet once I plugged my Mikrotik in my modem but I wasn't able to see my cameras internally or remotely. After getting some help, I'm now able to access the internet through the Mikrotik (but it's not set on bridge). The problem now is that I can't access my IP cameras.

Most of the sites and videos I've checked on setting up a mikrotik router use bridge to access the internet. How exactly does this work? Someone recommended using bridge as well when it comes to setting up the ip cameras with the router, but I don't really understand how.

I've got a static IP from my ISP. The modem they gave me is one of those "router+modem" types. Do you think this might make it difficult for me to set up my surveillance system? The subnet mask looks kind of funny as well (255.255.255.255).

My cameras connect to the mikrotik wirelessly.

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Something is acting as your perimeter device. Theis perimeter device will show the static IP on the WAN interface.

Getting your cameras viewable to the public simply involves forwarding the port used for remote viewing 'through' the permiter device using port forwarding or pinholing (whichever your device supports).

What port does your camera system use?
What device is on your perimeter?

Thanks for your reply! :)

From what I understood from your post, my router (Mikrotik) is my perimeter device. I've done port forwarding on the Mikrotik device but when I checked it in canyouseeme.org, it said the port was still closed. Here is my rule:

/ ip firewall nat

add chain=dstnat dst-address=publiciphere protocol=tcp dst-port=8090 \
action=dst-nat to-address=mycameraip to-port=8090`

I believe this is correct. When i try accessing my camera using the public ip and the port, i receive packets (i can see that on winbox), but i can't access my camera on the browser.

At this point i'm thinking my modem/router could be the problem.

As for the devices on my perimeter, it's just my cameras.

P.S. what i meant by "modem/router" is when i'm not using a router and i just want to access the internet on my laptop wirelessly, i can connect wirelessly to my modem.

Perhaps your camera application is trying to open another set of secondary ports. Just a guess. If you can wireshark the connection internally or find reference to it in the manual, that might help.

On the router, does it log dropped packets somewhere?

what do you mean by wireshark? How do I do that?

Why do not you ask your experts do better than that. I admire you. Good Success

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.