Hi, I just reloaded my Dell desktop (formatted the hard drive) and now I cannot connect to the internet. I looked in Device Manager and there are no question marks or exclamation points. I am receiving packets (looked at the properties of my connection), but I cannot ping www.google.com via cmd window. I also tried right clicking on my connection and then clicking Properties and clicked Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and selected the Microsoft v 6 (or something like that). When I click on Properties on TCPIP now, I have the settings as Obtain IP Address AUtomatically and Automatic private ip address is the other selection. Not sure what I should do now. Thank you for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hello,

You probably need to make sure that IPv4 is enabled under the Properties for the Network card especially if you are connecting to an older router or modem. Many of them are not configured for IPv6.

Under Device manager do you see a heading for Network and is there at least one device listed under it?

If you reinstalled have you installed the chipset drivers for your computer? Without the chipset drivers your system does not know how to talk to the internal devices on the system bus. It may see a network device connected but can report it as the wrong device and will not be able to communicate with it.

How are you connecting wired or wireless?

If wired then check for a link light on the port on the modem/router and on the computer. If you have a link light and it is flashing every now and then then you are connected and seeing traffic.

If wireless then you need to set up the wireless security to allow you to connect to your network. You should have some sort of wireless connection utility.

Thank you for your information.

I had only installed the XP OS and that's it.

So after seeing your message, I downloaded Belarc Advisor to get the chipset information for this machine.

There is one device under network:
Upon your helpful advice, I found the chipset drivers and installed them from ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/optiplex-gx150-all.html#Chipset

I downloaded the 3Com 3C920 Integrated LAN, v.ECD5.43A2(4.26), A08 driver from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=X2WM7

and installed it.

I then rebooted the machine (as the software finished it suggested the reboot).

This is a wired connection.

I'm getting packets (under Properties of the connection), but I still cannot ping www.google.com or www.bing.com and i cannot connect to the internet via the browser.

Any suggestions or have I missed something?

Thank you for your time.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. Post the results for your NIC.

I pasted here and also attached as a text file. THank you for your time and information.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ping www.bing.com
Ping request could not find host www.bing.com. Please check the name and try aga
in.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hammonds-082efc
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-5B-72-E5-6A
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::206:5bff:fe72:e56a%4
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:27:14 P
M
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:27:14 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-0B
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.11%2
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>

attached ipconfig/all

Ok so it appears that your card is working. You were able to successfully negotiate an IP lease. That's good.

From a command prompt try pinging your gateway IP: 192.168.0.1. Any response?

Try pinging something on the Internet ... Your DNS servers IPs is fine. Any response?

From the command prompt type NSLOOKUP and hit enter. At the prompt type www.google.com and hit enter. Any response?

If all three responses are successful, your card and IP config is fine. The problem is related to something else.. Your browser, antivirus client, malware, etc..

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ping www.bing.com
Ping request could not find host www.bing.com. Please check the name and try aga
in.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ping www.google.com
Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try a
gain.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>ping www.google.com
Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try a
gain.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sherrie>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 208.67.222.222: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 208.67.220.220: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server:  UnKnown
Address:  208.67.222.222

> www.google.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  208.67.222.222

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
>

The information just above is per your instructions, and thank you. This entire thread was started after a complete format and reload of XP

Hmm...

Any other computers or devices on your network with this problem?

Is there any antivirus program or 3rd party firewall running on this computer that could be interfering?

Other computers on this network are running with no issue. I don't believe anything on the machine itself as far as a 3rd party firewall or antivirus is interfering because this is strictly the XP load and that's it at this point. I'm reformatting and starting over. I'll post again as soon as that's finished. I appreciate your time and assistance.

I have now reformatted and reinstalled XP, reinstalled the chipset and ethernet drivers.

I've attached my PING and IPCONFIG/ALL results since I'm getting packets however, I'm not able to get on the internet. I can plug this network cable into another computer and have no issues. I appreciate your time and information.

SO quick question can you ping the NIC in your computer from your computer or from other computers around you? You should be able to ping 192.168.0.11 from the computer its self. And you should be able to ping from other computers on the same subnet. Can you?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.