Hi Folks...

I am having a little problem with an IBM Thinkpad with Windows XP & SP2 installed.

I have updated all drivers by the way..

I "AM" able to network successfully when the IP Settings are set for "Obtain an IP address automatically" & "obtain DNS server address automatically".. BUT once I enter a static address with subnet mask, default gateway Etc.. it accepts the details, but then I close the dialog and when I come back in to make sure all is set OK, all static details have disappeared and I am left with the automatic setting once again./??

This is the only machine on the network that this is happening to...

The Network card is: Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet

Has anybody seen this and if so, what can I do to rememdy the situation.???

Regards

Julius

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

The first thought that comes to mind is that you are using a Broadcom-supplied configuration utility which is conflicting with Windows built-in configuration functions. Is that possibly the case?

The first thought that comes to mind is that you are using a Broadcom-supplied configuration utility which is conflicting with Windows built-in configuration functions. Is that possibly the case?

Hi DMR...

No thats not the case... The only thing that I have taken from Broadcom is the driver.

I am still just going into Network COnnections and Right-Mouse-Button on the LAN connection and going to Properties for the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) setting and trying to make and save the changes there.??

First thing to try is to right click the LAN connection in Network Connections and choose "Repair"

First thing to try is to right click the LAN connection in Network Connections and choose "Repair"

Done... But no luck.!!

After doing the "Repair" then going into settings and making the necessary changes, saving these changes and exiting, then coming back in to setting, I see the "Obtain an IP address automatically" being set again. :sad:

Hmm, ok first try in a command window ipconfig/release (to release the DHCP lease) then open Local Area connection properties and set the static address.

I'm grasping at straws a bit here while I try and think of something better, but it's worth a try.

Next follow these steps and post the output:

Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.
2. Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol
You will have ten sections under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:
• MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
• MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
• RSVP UDP Service Provider
• RSVP TCP Service Provider
• MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...

We are looking to see that the Winsock2 is not corrupted by any LSP that the Broadcom software or any other app may have added to winsock and stuffed it.

The next thing after that is to install support tools from the XP cd root/Support/Tools run the setup.exe (choose a complete install).

This installs (amongst other things) netdiag (command line network tool)
in a command window type this command:

netdiag /test:winsock /v

Hmm, ok first try in a command window ipconfig/release (to release the DHCP lease) then open Local Area connection properties and set the static address.

I'm grasping at straws a bit here while I try and think of something better, but it's worth a try.

Next follow these steps and post the output:

Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.
2. Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol
You will have ten sections under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:
• MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
• MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
• RSVP UDP Service Provider
• RSVP TCP Service Provider

We are looking to see that the Winsock2 is not corrupted by any LSP that the Broadcom software or any other app may have added to winsock and stuffed it.

The next thing after that is to install support tools from the XP cd root/Support/Tools run the setup.exe (choose a complete install).

This installs (amongst other things) netdiag (command line network tool)
in a command window type this command:

netdiag /test:winsock /v

:lol: You won't believe it :lol:

This morning when I was going thru your suggestions and getting errors, I realised among other things that whenever I had to enter any commands from DOS Prompt I had to actually be in the direfctory that the command existed.!!

Soooo I went and edited START ==> CONTROL PANEL ==> SYSTEM ==> ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES ==> SYSTEM VARIABLES ==> Path Statement and realised that there was no definition for %SystemRoot% or %SystemRoot%\System32

Once I added these two item and rebooted, I was then able to go back into the IP Settings and define STATIC definitions, reboot and reenter the definitions and they remained, so now the problem appears to be fixed...

Thanks to all for your assistance

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

P.S. If someone could shed some light onto why the IP settings required that system variables be there, would be most helpful..!!

Whoa- how very trippy! Good friggin' find!

I have no idea what the variables have to do with IP settings specifically, but the fact that the %systemroot% varialbe is used all over the Registry might be relevant. Actually, given that, I'm surprised you weren't having a slew of other problems as well...

Whoa- how very trippy! Good friggin' find!

I have no idea what the variables have to do with IP settings specifically, but the fact that the %systemroot% varialbe is used all over the Registry might be relevant. Actually, given that, I'm surprised you weren't having a slew of other problems as well...

I am TOTALLY amazed myself.!! :eek:

BUT.. The end result wa sthat the problem is now resolved.... Well this one anyway.

Now I can go home for the long weekend and enjoy myself.!!

tahnsk again for the assistance.

regards

Enjoy the weekend! I know I will... it's my birthday on Saturday, and I can tell you that one thing I won't be doing is sitting front of this computer! :mrgreen:

P.S. If someone could shed some light onto why the IP settings required that system variables be there, would be most helpful..!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the TCP/IP properties dialogs are just a GUI on top of the netsh command tool.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TCP/IP properties dialogs are just a GUI on top of the netsh command tool.

Bingo- they are.
The Big Questions still remain, though: In what location(s) do the settings made with the TCP/IP properties GUI and/or the Network Shell actually get stored, and how do environment variables tie in to all of that?

Er.. cos the GUI wants to execute %sytemroot%\system32\netsh interface set ip "Local area connection" 10.10.10.101 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1

but %sytemroot% = "" so no can do.

What's more worrying is that it died too quietly.

Er.. cos the GUI wants to execute %sytemroot%\system32\netsh...
...What's more worrying is that it died too quietly.

Exactly. It isn't as though the netsh command has exclusive rights to the use of the %systemroot% variable, after all; I'd think that a lot of programs/commands would be affected.

Exactly. It isn't as though the netsh command has exclusive rights to the use of the %systemroot% variable, after all; I'd think that a lot of programs/commands would be affected.

I was very surprised that there were not too many others things effected by this variable not being set.!! But now we know where to look FIRST, if this happens again..!!!

BTW.. DMR ... Did you have a good weekend for your birthday.??

I had a few drinks for you... Boy you sure can drink.!@!

Regards
:cheesy:

I googled this problem and came to this site. I've read the postings and it was determined that setting the PATH in SYSTEM ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES fixed the problem.

Well, I have the same problem using WINDOWS XP 64 and a Broadcom NetExtreme II driver.

I am able to set a static IP address, SN, GW, DNS. I exit TCP/IP settings by clicking OK.

The IP works and I'm able to see it at DOS level "ipconfig/all". When I go back into TCP/IP settings, my static IP information isn't there. It's set to DHCP instead.

When I reboot, the computer loads the IP succesfully. The information is in the Registry. It's just not in TCP/IP Settings..

A little help.

More info. I have the Broadcom Advance Control Suite and I noticed 4 adapters instead of 2. Two are numbered 46, and the other two are numbered 47. 1 from each pair is greyed back or N/A

(0046) Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE -- Not Accessable
(0046) Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE
(0047) Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE #2
(0047) Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE #2 -- Not Accessable

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.