I'm setting up my home network right now using one base router/modem which is able to send 5 and 2.4 simultaneously.
My repeater is able to do the same, however it can only connect to the base through one of them.
The signal strength at the position of the repeater is 80% for 2.4ghz and 60% for 5.0ghz.

Normally, I would go for 5.0ghz. But which would make more sense in this situation?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Experiment and see which gives you better throughput. I assume you are connecting with 802.11n? A signal strength of 60% is pretty good. Remember, 5GHz has a shorter range than 2.4GHz, but by also having a shorter wavelength, it will better penetrate things like walls, floors, etc.

It's possible you may be getting some interference from other devices. Cordless phones for example commonly use 2.4 GHz.

Remember, 5GHz has a shorter range than 2.4GHz, but by also having a shorter wavelength, it will better penetrate things like walls, floors, etc.

Surely it's the other way around, i.e. longer wavelengths have better penetration than short?

@LaxL
No, shorter penetrates better, but has lower range, but higher bandwidth.

Ok. I'm wrong! Assuming this is correct: https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=3987&c=1014127&h=6a3f7973b02b602ff116&_xt=.pdf&ck=Y5MmDtLgAZr6kBFA&vid=Y5MmDtLgAZ76kAkA

The higher bandwidth part is correct, and the penetration specs indicate that the lower range is also correct. I have used both 2.4 and 5 GHz systems. The 5Ghz systems were definitely faster if you had a decent signal.

Alright thank you guys, I guess 5Ghz is the better choice then.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.