Hello, I have a laptop that I want to connect to my families network using a network cable. I plugged the network cable into my laptop and then the other end into the router but my computer can't even detect the cable being in my computers. Most computers just have a "local area connection" in there connections but mine doesn't and I cant even set one up. Do I need a driver to use the cable and if so where can I get one? Thanks, really need help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What OS are you using?

It doesn't matter what os he has. You probably have a bad network cable, or your ethernet port isn't working, though it's most likely the cable. I would try using different cables. I would also install tcp/ip, if you already don't have it.

It doesn't matter what os he has.

Read the part where he says that his computer doesn't even detect that the cable is connected. It might have to do with the NIC. Ditto

he probably has xp, it's more common than 2000 or 98 or whatever. if he had mac os x, he would'nt have this problem. if he had some linux distribution he wouldn't asking for help here.

he probably has xp, it's more common than 2000 or 98 or whatever. if he had mac os x, he would'nt have this problem. if he had some linux distribution he wouldn't asking for help here.

good point. :cool: Especially the linux part. :lol:

Most computers just have a "local area connection" in there connections but mine doesn't and I cant even set one up.

Hey Daitus, if you're using windows XP, make sure you're in administrator mode. Then, you'll be allowed to use the new connection wizard. To access the new connection wizard, open the control panel and access the "network connection" control. One of the tasks will be "create new connection". The rest is child's play. [IMG]http://www.msfn.org/board/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif[/IMG]

Yeah I have xp. I have tried to set up a network connection several times. In control panel/hardware it says I don't have a driver for ethernet controller, so is there a driver you can download.

In control panel/hardware it says I don't have a driver for ethernet controller, so is there a driver you can download.

Yes, and that sounds like the source of your trouble. However, in order to know which exact driver software you need, we will need to know the exact make/model of your network card.
To find that information:

* Right-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and choose Properties from the resulting context menu.
* In the Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.
* In the Hardware tab, click on the Device Manager button.
* Under the Network Adapters heading, find the network device marked with a Red "X" or a Yellow exclamation point.
* Double-click on that device entry and post the information listed in the General tab of the device's Properties window.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.