I have DHCP installed on our server, and while checking the leases I noticed a few BAD_ADDRESS entries. I delete them but they return within a few seconds. Anyone know the cause of this and how to prevent it?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Can you trace the bad adress to any workstations?:?:
How many workstations do you have?:?:
How many can you see in the DHCP list?:?:
Do workstation addresses match those in the DHCP list?:?:
Are all the workstations set to DHCP?:?:

Do they have all the correct subnet masks?

These are all things you should check.

Can you trace the bad adress to any workstations?:?:
How many workstations do you have?:?:
How many can you see in the DHCP list?:?:
Do workstation addresses match those in the DHCP list?:?:
Are all the workstations set to DHCP?:?:

Do they have all the correct subnet masks?

These are all things you should check.

Can't trace the addresses
roughly 25
(random)
from what i can tell
no (we're in the process of switching over to new network architechture)
yes

You need to check this when all DHCP configured machines are running.
Take a note of all there ip addresses and cross reference it with the DHCP list.
The machines that are not configured with DHCP could have static ip addresses that conflict with addresses that are issued by DHCP. If they are on the same network and they are switched on after a workstation which has been issued with the same ip address they will conflict. You need to make sure that the DHCP server cannot issue any of the static ip addresses.
eg: set DHCP to issue 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150 then set all static addresses outside of this range.
This is just one possibility.
Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply.

all of our static ips are 13.240.x.x and the dhcp is set to lease 192.168.x.x

Well I figure it's about time to bring this post back to life.... :sad:

I'm still getting a bunch of BAD_ADDRESS entries in my DHCP Address Lease scope. The MAC Address is shorter than the work stations'....

Moved.

What do you mean with "Moved." ?

I have the same problem.
- bad_address
- shorter MAC

Duki, were you able to solve the problem ?

Ive had this before when 2 machines had the same mac (dont know why, i thaught they were supposed to be unique to the h/w?)

Well yes and no. We recently installed new servers, which do not give this error. I figure it was something configured wrong in DNS or DHCP on my behalf; it was my first DC.

i've similar problem here is my sceanrio:

2003 - DHCP no DNS
BAD ADDRESS
Lesser MAC ID
no static IP from the client side.

still getting " BAD ADDRESS"

any help?

Same problem with MAC addresses and the all end in the same 6 characters and the first 2 are different. Only 8 characters in these MAC's

Hi

I know this is an old thread but take a look at this: http://johntear.tumblr.com/post/17028050150/bad-address-entries-in-dhcp-database

A Windows DHCP client sends an ARP request when it receives an IP address from the server, if a host on the same broadcast domain responds the client sends a DHCP DECLINE to the server which results in the BAD ADDRESS entry.

In my case it was a Cisco firewall with proxy arp enabled.

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.