I was informed not to use HomeGroups, instead use regular Networking !

I've given all computers the same workgroup name as was suggested instead of using Homegroups, specifically a Windows7 computer can see the shared folders on a Windows8.1 computer, but the Window8.1 computer can't see the folders on the Windows7 computer ? Aswell the Windows8.1 computer (client) can't access the NAS, but the Windows7 computer (host) can. If I try to map a NAS as a network drive on the Windows8.1 computer, I get this error; the NAS has it's own unique IP and is connected, not to a router, instead a modem/gateway.

Click Here

Not following a suggestion I was given, not to use HomeGroups as they are not reliable, when I try to join or leave a HomeGroup on the Windows8.1 computer these errors switch repeately, as in every second in Control Panel > HomeGroup

Click Here
Click Here

Before HomeGroups, I use to with Windows2000 and earlier versions of Windows setup shared folders and drives, that information I have forgotten, if anyone wants to help ? Aswell getting the, specifically client computers to see the NAS has had four suggestions and remote help from various people who thought they could get it to work, all failed, instead threw their hands in the air and said the situation is a odd problem ?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

I've run this problem by nearly a dozen people; and no one can solve it. I've tried everything, from SSH to Windows Credentials, nothing is working.

There has been others, not many, who have run into this problem, as you mention yourself. I assume, some don't bother to find a solution, while others give up, then again as you mention some downgrade from Windows 8.x to Win 7.

If there is anyone who knows how to solve this problem, I would love to hear from you; I'll paypal you some money, that is how desperate I've become.

More of a question really. The first image is what I see when the account has no rights to that share. Since I can't see what NAS, I can't be exact here but Windows, when I share a thing means that unless I enable that guest account will only allow accounts on the "server" to access.

This is a basic gaffe by many. They forget to create an account on the server for the person that wants to access the object.

So again, I'm BOB. I want to access a share on the "server." I must have an account "BOB" on that server or I'm not getting access. This is one of those rather well done discussions on network shares. But I don't see where you created the needed accounts.

I understand what you mean, but I have an administrator account, with a password, is that not sufficient to get this working, from there I can change it ?

The second two set of images, I don't know how to stop ?

As I mentioned, I want to stop using HomeGroups and strictly use Workgroups as networking and share whatever directories in the NAS between a Windows 7 box & Windows 8 box.

Previously I was sharing a folder that was on the Windows 8 box between Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, since this whole shebang started and I stopped using HomeGroups, etc etc, that doesn't work either. I've been desperately trying, as I mentioned to get access to the NAS from the Windows 8.1 box with no success and nearly a half a dozen people trying to help with no progress.

That's one of those well worn areas. No. You would never count on the admin account working across Windows for many reasons. If it did, can you imagine the carnage?

I think you understand accounts so why not create "BOB" on the server, then log in on the client on your "BOB" account and try to make a connection? Or just enable the guest account.

As to the NAS, well again, I don't see whose NAS so where to go next?

I created a user, logging into the NAS control panel with the new user I created, I can see all the directories on the NAS, but only though viewing the NAS within the browser. I don't know if this is a step in the right direction to getting this all to work or not, but I still can't map a directory as a drive in Windows 8.x ?

In the Admin user profile, all the directories which I could share, are greyed out, and I don't know how to select a directory to make it shareable ?

Which sounds right. The web page used the new user. I can't see where you created the new user account on the clent PC and logged in under BOB.

It appears you are repeating a well worn area. It will dawn on you very soon now.

As I can't find out what NAS this is, I leave that in their capable hands.

Do you want to know what NAS this is to help with a few extra steps, then hopefully all will work ? Who is BOB you keep mentioned, just a proxy user name you are using ?

Everytime I try to map the drive I get teh same error as seen in the first image of my original post ?

I wouldn't have to do something similar to Goal 1 on this page ?
In other words, the only way to access the NAS from not the local machine, in this case the Win8 box, is to use a VPN & something like sFTP, as in you don't map the drive it you treat it like a FTP site and map the FTP site ?

I was using an account name (BOB) so we could call that out. If I'm logged in as BOB on my PC, unless I enable that Guest networking (dependant on device/Windows) I must have a BOB account on the device/server.

This seems to elude a lot of folks. Maybe because it wasn't that way years ago on consumer things.

Anyhow without the exact NAS I could never guess if it needed some setting changed. I know folk want their privacy but without that detail it's a mystery on the NAS. The Windows share is pretty easy once you learn the rules.

GOAL 1 is all about credentials and more. There are many prior discussions about shares across the internet but I thought it was accepted that mapping a share across the internet was considered a security risk/bad idea. That doesn't seem to stop folk from doing that.

Hi, sorry, I didn't post the NAS which is a WD-EX2.

------

GOAL 1 is all about credentials and more. There are many prior discussions about shares across the internet but I thought it was accepted that mapping a share across the internet was considered a security risk/bad idea. That doesn't seem to stop folk from doing that.

GOAL 1 is acctually what I was planning on doing, once this is all working, what precautions would I have to take ?

Sorry about the bold, large, quote, something funky going on, and it wouldn't reverse no matter me clicking on the bold icon to revert.

NP. Sorry but we would be duplicating the web at that point. At least you figured out the account name and shares. Sorry if I step out here. Window shares across the web are a rather well done topic. I don't see where I could add any more to prior discussions or fix it so it wasn't going to go boom.

Good luck and glad you figured out the other usual area.

Can I ask you one other thing ?

Go ahead. And by the way, once you revealed the NAS model number it was pretty interesting to find how much folk have written about shares over the web. I see many stubbed their brain toe on accounts. Can't guess why that area needs to be re-hashed almost every Windows share discussion.

Hi, watch this video, of the two networking problem I'm having that I can't solve and I've searched and searched for answers and none of the solutions I've found, work. Between a Win 8.1 & Win 7.

I don't want to use homegroups, instead regular workgroups but I'm having issues setting this all up, that may be why, in the first error of the video I can't map any directory on the NAS as a drive.

Truly strange. Since all prior answers fail you have sadly found a defective area. I'm taking your word on that. Very strange to read this. Maybe you should just forget Windows networking and look at WinSCP instead.

WinSCP has Win Explorer integration: winscp.net/eng/docs/integration
(in reference to "Between a Win 8.1 & Win 7.", not the NAS)

In parting I did have a long chat with someone that hid a tiny detail. They never accepted the name/user/account matters area. They were stuck in the past how this worked and wanted things to work as if it was 15 years ago. It was tiring to say the least. Here, at least you figured that out.

In parting I did have a long chat with someone that hid a tiny detail. They never accepted the name/user/account matters area. They were stuck in the past how this worked and wanted things to work as if it was 15 years ago. It was tiring to say the least. Here, at least you figured that out.

What do you mean, they never accepted the name/user/account matters area ?

I have found a defective area when networking between Windows 7 & Windows 8, arghhh I have to be the guinea pig :-(

This is probably the reason why I can't map the NAS as a drive.

Back to the accounts? They never accepted that they needed an account on the server. One might guess the server had the guest enabled.

I thought by now you had the account area under your hat and why I have begun to wonder if you had some other issues to cover. Your last post makes me worry you are trying to forgo accounts and Windows Shares.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.