I want to map a FTP account as a drive in Windows10. I tried the program FTPUse unfortunately it doesn't work, and the author is at a loss why it is not working, even though there is nothing I'm doing wrong ?

Any other suggestions ?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Anything for Free, besides what I tried ? Can Windows not do this natively ?

Paywire; It's not listed in the link you posted ?

FTPUse was a free solution, unfortunately the author just throws his hands in the air if it doesn't work and doesn't even know how to fix, even if the program tells you "it was successful in mapping a ftp account as a drive.

Shame Windows can't do this natively.

I didn't write Paywire. Payware is software you pay for.

As to the native comment, I didn't find FTP capable of record and file locking so why would it do this natively? All the FTP on drive letters have to be incomplete implementations of a real drive system.

I didn't find FTP capable of record and file locking so why would it do this natively? All the FTP on drive letters have to be incomplete implementations of a real drive system.

I don't understand ?

To dive into file and record locking, well, that's on the web. It's why FTP as a drive letter is usually only good enough for directory use and copying files around. Many apps won't run or work over FTP as a drive apps.

I'm a pre-DOS person so I have been writing apps that were using file and record locking before and after the heyday of Novell. How to condense it all into this small space? Don't know. But there are other titles out there. My choice was to pay for it. Then again I use FileZilla.

Another free option you could is DriveMaker. As the rproffitt mentioned, file locking can't be done over ftp but for small stuff you probably don't need it

• You can prefer ExpanDrive that is truly amazing, and it has version for Windows & Mac, too.

• There's WebDrive – one of the best options.

• Next, you can also use FTPDrive, it is a free windows utility for mounting an FTP server as a local hard-disk drive. You can also view directories in the Windows Folder structure.

Although, with WebDrive & FTPDrive, you'll encounter with one single problem is that both are not usually visible in backup programs. Also, they do not appear as Removable or fixed drive. Simply, go with ExpanDrive in order to get rid of any issues further.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.