I've run ethernet wiring all around my house, hooked up some RJ45 plates in the wall, and connected the other ends to RJ45 plates near the router, which are then plugged into the router with short ethernet cables. The router is a DLink DI 524 which then plugs into a DLink ADSL modem.
Wireless works fine; plugging straight into the router with ethernet works fine; but none of the other connections work.

Where do I start? I've already tested each of the cables and they seem to be fine. The cable itself is new.

Please help! Thanks!

nick

I've run ethernet wiring all around my house, hooked up some RJ45 plates in the wall, and connected the other ends to RJ45 plates near the router, which are then plugged into the router with short ethernet cables. The router is a DLink DI 524 which then plugs into a DLink ADSL modem.
Wireless works fine; plugging straight into the router with ethernet works fine; but none of the other connections work.

Where do I start? I've already tested each of the cables and they seem to be fine. The cable itself is new.

Please help! Thanks!

nick

first, check each cable and plate one by one, i.e plug router or pc in to one end, and laptop or another device in the other if you dont have a cable tester, repeat this throughout the house, if they are all fine, look at where they join, i.e hub, switch or another router, is that working correctly, and do the current setttings allow you to do what you want. lastly, i hate to sound patronising - but have all the plates been wired right, just as in, have you by acciden not lack of knowleadge put cables into different holes or double inserted a few?

darren

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.