I had made a Microsoft Office Access 2007 database with more than 2000 records. A copy of which was given to my friend. We both made a number of amendments and added new records in our respective copies. Now I want to compare both databases & merge the databases into one. There is only one table in the database, so basically both the tables need to be merged with the amendments made by both of us. How do I do it?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So you have a target database (the one you'll be left with at the end) and a source database, the one you'll copy from. Take a backup of both of your databases before you start.

If you have any unique fields you need to remove them from the source database. So, if you have an auto-incrementing id field, drop it. Once it's ready, you can export it as a CSV. Note that if you miss this step, your import is likely to fail because the ID's assigned to your records and his records will clash.

Now, in your target database, click 'Import from Text File' (this varies depending on the version you're using) and pick the freshly-exported CSV file. Go through the wizard and try it out. Hopefully his data will be alongside yours in the table.

I just realised this thread is six years old. I had no idea that was the case when I answered above. For some reason it was in the main feed (I didn't go digging for ancient threads)

commented: I saw that pop up in the feed as well. +15

Dani was testing stuff, and this thread was used as part of that which caused it to appear in the feed.

commented: Thanks for the info +9
commented: I also saw you endorsed and then not many times.Pay no attention to what goes on behind the curtain. +15
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.