this morning i was playing battlefield 2 on my pc, it has a linksys router connected to it with a motorola sb5100 cable modem (discontinued item) and i wanted to change servers in the game and it quit and a pop up came up and said limited or no connectivity i looked into it and researched ways i can renew my ip address with out clicking repair and yes, i did try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and what it said was it couldnt contact the dhcp server . i tried repairing it multiple times and so on and so fourth but cant solve the problem. the 2 desktops connected to the linksys wireless g broadband router doesnt have connectivity to the internet but my laptop does aswell as the xbox 360 online. what should i do?..

if you have an answer plz contact me on aim, or replying to this post.

aim: L3THALxINJ3CTION or xn3wbz89x

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

this morning i was playing battlefield 2 on my pc, it has a linksys router connected to it with a motorola sb5100 cable modem (discontinued item) and i wanted to change servers in the game and it quit and a pop up came up and said limited or no connectivity i looked into it and researched ways i can renew my ip address with out clicking repair and yes, i did try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and what it said was it couldnt contact the dhcp server . i tried repairing it multiple times and so on and so fourth but cant solve the problem. the 2 desktops connected to the linksys wireless g broadband router doesnt have connectivity to the internet but my laptop does aswell as the xbox 360 online. what should i do?..

if you have an answer plz contact me on aim, or replying to this post.

aim: L3THALxINJ3CTION or xn3wbz89x

how do i reset the DHCP server or force it to give me a new ip addreess?

Hello,

This sounds like the DHCP error is from your router (although I'm not completely sure).

First of all, reset the router. There might be a small hole at the back of the router, where you push a straightened paperclip in, and hold. If not, just unplug the router.

If that didn't fix it, try to access the router's config page. I'm not familiar with Linksys, because I have a D-Link, so I don't know what the default IP address is. (Probably 192.168.0.1; try typing that into your web browser)

Go through the menus, and find the internet config (if your ISP is DHCP). There should be a renew button. Click it, and see what happens.

Your router should report an IP address. If not, this points to an ISP problem, and you should contact technical support. If your router does show an IP address, but you still cannot connect, this indicates some DHCP-assigning problem. You should check out the DHCP config page on your router, and see what you can do there.

commented: he helped me with exactly what i needed and it worked. +1

Hello,

This sounds like the DHCP error is from your router (although I'm not completely sure).

First of all, reset the router. There might be a small hole at the back of the router, where you push a straightened paperclip in, and hold. If not, just unplug the router.

If that didn't fix it, try to access the router's config page. I'm not familiar with Linksys, because I have a D-Link, so I don't know what the default IP address is. (Probably 192.168.0.1; try typing that into your web browser)

Go through the menus, and find the internet config (if your ISP is DHCP). There should be a renew button. Click it, and see what happens.

Your router should report an IP address. If not, this points to an ISP problem, and you should contact technical support. If your router does show an IP address, but you still cannot connect, this indicates some DHCP-assigning problem. You should check out the DHCP config page on your router, and see what you can do there.

ill try that but its only my desktops my wireless is fine.....

but i noticed something odd on my linksys router it has a led light that has a picture of a lock on it and a section ion it is lit up, its definently not firewalled cuz i hate that ****. but plz look more into it thank you for replying ....every suggestion is gold to me..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.