I am running a peer-to-peer Windowes XP (fully patched) workgroup with from 5 to 8 machines. I am using 1000MHz NICs and a 1000MHz switch for five of these with a 1000MHz PCI NIC card in each of the machines.

I also have a LinkSys wireless router (WRTG54X ver2) used for Web connections via my DSL access. The five computers all have 100Mhz PCI or Wireless NICs that connect them to the DSL router, so there are two NICs in each of these machines.

There are also several machines that. when running, connect only to the DSL router.

This arrangement sort of works but It always results in slow responses when exploring "My Network Places" and sometimes I have difficulty establishing a working interconnections amoung the machines.

Can you suggest a way or ways of setting up this system so that it functions normally?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I would upgrade every thing to Gigabit. The 10/100Mb router and nics are probably causing bottlenecks.

I would upgrade every thing to Gigabit. The 10/100Mb router and nics are probably causing bottlenecks.

Where do I get a 1Gb wireless router?

Where do I get a 1Gb wireless router?

The new netgear rangemax next supports 270Mb p/s wirelessly but you need the supporting wireless network adapter to achieve this. The ethernet connections are gigabit on it it's a very good router but it is over £150.00 for the gigabit edition.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.