Not sure if this is best forum but here goes anways... I have had a home wireless network setup for a long time. I use the built in windows program for wireless connection. I had never bothered using encryption. Recently the connection has really been slowing down so I figured out my neighbor was borowing bandwidth. So I have now starting using WEP.

I am noticing a new problem though. Everytime it drops the connection I have to manualy get it to reconnect. It used to reconnect automaticaly with out me even knowing it most of the time. Now however, I get a message "One or more wireless connections are available click here to connect", it will not reconnect with out me clicking on it. As far as I can tell all the options to have it auto connect are set correctly. Also recently I did some security updates, could this be the problem? Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

You can check who is connected to your router by opening the router's config page. You should do this first if you suspect your neighbour's borrowing your bandwidth or you experience slowdowns.

Try rebooting your router, make sure the firmware version is current, and if that doesn't work, try using a different type of encryption (eg. WPA).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.