Hi

If anyone can help with this problem that would be great because I'm on the verge of pulling my hair out.

A 2 computer network, 1 PC set-up as client which connects to another set-up as host, which is directly connected to the internet through a broadband connection.

The host computer has no problems and functions perfectly.

The client PC however, CAN connect to the network, so is capable of sharing files etc. CAN access P2P networks i.e. Limewire etc. and download applications but CANNOT access the internet, browse or surf the web

Both PCs run Mcafee security centre which includes the firewall, as this seems like a problem a firewall would cause. But I have tried disabling Mcafee on both PCs to no avail.

I have run this set-up for nearly 5 years at my old house but moved last week and now the exact same set-up is having difficulty.

I also cannot ping the internet from the client PC.

I have tried running windows network diagnostics but that say everything is functioning perfectly.
I have tried using static ip address on client pc, this did not work!

I have tried releasing and renewing ip address.

I know I am missing something, but can't think what it is, Can anybody help?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

run the windows networking wizard on the client and make sure that you select "connects thru a residential gateway or another pc"

Thanks for the quick response. But no luck.

The windows netowrking wizard is how I initally set-up the network in the first place, I have tried doing this again just incase, but this did not work. Still have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

I've solved the problem. Thank goodness

In command prompt I typed:

Netsh int ip reset test.log

I also bridged the network connections on the host computer.

I now have a fully functioning network.

Thanks for the help though! Until next time!

Richard,

Could you tell me in detail what you did? I had same problem.

please how did you got your problem solved , said you enter netsch at the command prompt and u type IP or the address it self and what next please explain it further for me. thank you.

I've solved the problem. Thank goodness

In command prompt I typed:

Netsh int ip reset test.log

I also bridged the network connections on the host computer.

I now have a fully functioning network.

Thanks for the help though! Until next time!

]please how did you got your problem solved , said you enter netsch at the command prompt and u type IP or the address it self and what next please explain it further for me. thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.