I have a integrated network card in my asus A8V-E Delux motherboard and when I but the cable modem in the slot it sends packets but it dosn't recive any... it's really frustrating :mad: ... what should I do? There is no new drivers to it... I can connect through my cellfone and then it works just fine, but it's kinda slow :-| Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Is your onboard ethernet controller sharing its IRQ number with any other onboard devices? (Such as one of the SATA controllers perhaps?) If so, see if you can disable any unnecessary onboard devices in the BIOS to free up some IRQ numbers. This should cause the BIOS to reassign one or more devices.

How can I see that? Device managment?

The easiest way is... (Note this is going by Win2K - may be slightly different under WinXP)

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

Find the icon in control panel called Administrative Tools

This will open up a new window - from here you run the tool called Computer Management

in the Computer Management window, look down the Tree (The left-hand-side) for System Information

In there, open the Hardware Resources folder, and then the IRQs sub-folder.

in the right-hand-pane, you'll get a fairly long list of devices. Look for your Ethernet Controller in that list, and see which number it uses. Then check to see whether there are any other devices in the list which are using the same IRQ number.

Note - Some devices are fine to share IRQs, and you will almost certainly have a few devices which are sharing, - you can ignore these, because the only ones we're interested in are any which have the same number as your Ethernet Controller.

I didn't find the IRQs... The System information wasn't there... Is there another way?

How do I change it in the BIOS then? I didn't find where you do it

the Computer Management window is merely for viewing information about the computer's hardware. Does this mean you found that your network controller is using a conflicting or shared IRQ? What was it sharing with?

the BIOS is a small bit of software embedded into a chip on your motherboard. The usual way to access your BIOS is to press the 'delete' key as soon as your computer powers up, but this depends entirely on your system. From this point, the best thing to do is read the motherboard's manual, which should contain all this information. (If you haven't got a paper copy, usually you can get a .PDF on the Asus website)

Before you dive into it, realise that the BIOS provides direct control over every bit of hardware in the computer - if you're not sure what something does, then don't change it. Unlike Windows, the BIOS doesn't protect you from changing something which shouldn't be changed.

I didn't find the IRQs... The System information wasn't there... Is there another way?

After a quick google search, it seems that Windows XP is different. According to Microsoft's website, you can open System Information by doing the following

Start -> Run -> type msinfo32 and press enter.

Ok.. I'll try

Nope, it wasn't that....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.