Nice day

The problem:
I have a small local network with friends(router->users). Each of them has a Windows XP.
I want to add each of them to some groups in my local windows groups of users (like quests, users, administrators) . So I can let some group/user to have access to some files, but the others won't have access. I turned the simple sharing off, but I don't know how to add them to act as a local user. Just like in a FTP(each user from another computer is allowed to see certain folders) but in Windows enviroment.

How to do it?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hey Seten,

Allowing permissions is the key for allowing/restricting access to certain files.

One key point to remember while setting permissions is this: Permissions are inherited throughout directories (unless disabled). Meaning, if you allow a user access to a folder, he/she also has access to every file and folder inside of that one unless otherwise specified.

Do do this you need to ensure that every user you are wanting to allow access has a user account on your machine. Check this with Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->User Accounts

After ensuring the users are created go to a folder you have shared and do the following:

Right click-->Sharing and Security-->Permissions

I would set this to Allow everything for Everyone. I do this because the Security settings of the folder will take precedence over the permissions set here.

After that, go to the security tab. Find the user you're wanting to allow/restrict access to and select the security features you want to implement. This can take some testing to get right if you're not familiar with user security and permissions. If you have any questions let us know; I'm sure someone will be around.

Hope this helps; sorry if I misunderstood the question

chow!

Thanks...

I know how to do the permissions for local users. But I wanted to restrict/allow permissions to non-local user. Egg other computer user.

Ah I c,

I am not sure if that is possible outside of Active Directory. If you added the user to a group it would still be a member of that group only on their computer.

I'm pretty sure you would have to create the user on your local machine in order to administer permissions to them. I could be wrong...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.