I currently have a wireless Linksys Router (model# WRT54G). It is connected by wire to my cablemodem. I was wondering if it is possible to connect another Linksys Router (model# WRT54G) to the one I already have via a wireless connection?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

It should be. Why? Because you can program the second router to work with the first one via IP information. The IP packets won't distinguish between a wire and an antenna.

You will most likely need to program the device via a wire cable to a computer, and you will have to set the IP number of the wan side to be in the same subnet as the first one. You might have to use the IP number of the first as the gateway number on the second.

Now, I am not certain how to configure a roaming device to switch from one to the other as you walk out of range of the first one. That requires some study on my part.

Christian

from my experienc with a wired router connected to a wireless router, its a bad idea we had so many problems it became a hassle and every half hour or so we had to reset the routers so that we could get back online. we finaly changed the wireless router for a wireless access point and we had no problems untill we had to swap out the wired router for a netgear one. so i would suggest a wired router with a wireless access point. not another wireless router (mucho problemo with them being set up as both routers, from my exp at least)

from my experienc with a wired router connected to a wireless router, its a bad idea we had so many problems it became a hassle and every half hour or so we had to reset the routers so that we could get back online. we finaly changed the wireless router for a wireless access point and we had no problems untill we had to swap out the wired router for a netgear one. so i would suggest a wired router with a wireless access point. not another wireless router (mucho problemo with them being set up as both routers, from my exp at least)

I know this post is old, but this is the first one that implies what my problem might be (I will start a new post for the specific problem, it's involved); well the reason for this post...hopefully you will see this one day and answer this. My question is sincere.

I have read solutions that inolved downloading a new version of the firmware for a Linksys WRT54G (Wi-Fi + hardwired); the the new firmware turns the WiFi Router into a Wireless Access Point?

Seems no one has come right out and said this, as if you are expected to somehow 'know' this....geesz.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.