I want to setup a mail server on my home LAN connection for inside use on the network and possibly some outside use. Is there any software or programs that are good to use? Any tips or tricks?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Linux/BSD running sendmail or postfix work great.

If the box isn't going to see much action, you could install that on a very low-end box, and be in pretty good shape.

Linux/BSD running sendmail or postfix work great.

If the box isn't going to see much action, you could install that on a very low-end box, and be in pretty good shape.

Hmm... now why did I just know that was coming? :mrgreen:

i use merak mail server, Its cheap and reliable.

If the computer is connected to the internet perminantly that hosts the mail server, make sure you secure the relap server (this is try for any mail server) as you will become an open relay very quickly if you dont.

the easiest way to do this (assuming you do not need to be able to send messages from outside your network, is to disable port 25 (SMTP port) from being accessed from outside your network. Otherwise use the built in security features.

jack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.